Clear all

Weird Hand Pain

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@deadat27)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

This was pretty weird. Yesterday around 5 I started to play my guitar, I practiced some riffs for about 20 minutes and then my hands started getting sore. I think it was because I was slouching as I played so I put my guitar away and late that night my hands were killing me, all the way up to my forearms.

I woke up with the same intense pain, I went to work and came back with the same pain and thought about taking some pain killers like Tylenol for the pain after eating.

I ate but decided not to take medication and instead did some exercise. I was still feeling a little soreness in my hands, fingers especially, and pretty much decided there was no way I was going to be able to play my guitar today but I still tried it out and I noticed that with every passing minute the soreness dissappeared and after 15 minutes total my hands didn't hurt anymore. As I type this my hands feel about 90%, just some soreness barely in my wrists.

I dont know if it was because I played with pain that my hands stopped hurting but it almost seems that way. Has this ever happend to any of you?

(@alangreen)

Hiya,

First off - any kind of pain is wrong.

Much of the problem will be in your warm up routine - or lack of it.

Start with a ten-minute warm up routine, and check your playing position both sitting and standing.

Go here:

Guitar Principles

Classical Guitar Aficionados

Both have invaluable information about playing positions - don't be put off by the Classical Guitar emphasis of the second link.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote