Notifications
Clear all

What are your musical aspirations?

29 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

I started playing when I was in high school and due to a serious lack of dedication I didnt follow through.

Now that my son is 16 and playing tuba in his high school symphonic band and bass in the school jazz band I see how much fun he is having and it inspired me to start again.

So I guess my aspirations are to be able to play and jam with my son. To be honest, not only has he been a great source of pride to me with his ablility he has been a great instructor in respect to musical theory.

Even though he has no training on the guitar he can grab it and show me things on scales, etc. to help me along.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

My aspirations are easy enough. I want to be the first musician in my family. I've struggled for so long at wanting to learn, but just couldn't get myself to.
The past 3-4 years had been rough. My best friend passed away and I've spent most of my time lost. So I guess I'm also playing for him.

In the past 9 months since I started playing again things are beginning to come together, still struggle with music theory though. Guitar is one of the few things in life that I don't feel like a failure at and it makes me happy.

Now if I can find a job and a girlfriend that makes me as happy as playing the guitar, then I'll have it made.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Now if I can find a job and a girlfriend that makes me as happy as playing the guitar, then I'll have it made.

They are rare creatures.

Find one who's a musician (preferably not a great one, or this may not work). They're more forgiving of you ignoring them for a while when you're learning. :)

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I'd be happy to find someone with a pulse! :roll: :roll:

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I'd be happy to find someone with a pulse! :roll: :roll:
:twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: Getting picky now huh :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

:twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: Getting picky now huh :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Hey we all have to have some kind of standard or the whole world will go straight to HE**! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@washburnt)

My aspiration is to be good enough to get the chicks.

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Just carry it around, and when people ask you to play complain about wrist pain :)

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@shift)
Estimable Member

Musical aspirations?

ummm, I just want to make some noise. It makes me happy.

I suppose, it is an outlet. For my creativity, after my workday.

If I can come up with something somelse wants to listen to, cool. If not thats cool too. As long as it makes me happy.

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

I don't think about it, I want to get better but i'm lazy and i'm 50, I never took much interest in anything, but so far this hobby is sticking

ReplyQuote
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member

I want to experience my mind giving up and stop yelling to me that i suck wich constantly mess up my playing (and life quality). Then something cool might come out. Asume its very therapeuthic too.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

That's a lot of incite to everyone's musical objectives.

I, myself want to get out there and explore what can happen. I am NOT saying I want to be a rock star, but if I can make some extra cash while having fun…. Why the heck not!

I'd like to get out there in the future and do some paying gigs. Family functions (no weddings!), bar format, local festivals or what ever else comes up. Like I said before though, open mic's first.

My friend has brought the best out of me and he is an incredible musician that has gigged many-o-times back in the day and he wants to get back out on the scene now. I can't blame him, I would want to as well. I guess that's where my question stemmed from. If possible, I would like to hear from the “seasoned vets” on what they think the future will bring.

Like I said before, I'm in the beginning stages and hope that there is a lot left in me to get out there and have fun with a crowd. Which is funny because I don't consider myself a “people person” so to speak. :? I'd much rather sit back and enjoy the show from the furthest seat in the house. That's just me but, lately I want to get out there and be the one providing the fun. It's weird how some things work out.

Glad to see so many great and well thought out responses. Thanks!!!

P.S.-Ghost, sorry to hear about you're best friend. May he rest in peace.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Was a chessplayer when I was quite young. Was a fun game initially but got boring lately. Kept on going because I couldn't stand losing from anyone. When I got selected for some kind of 'topclass lessons' I figured I had enough and just dropped it all. So I started playing football (soccer for the folks from the States). Wasn't particularly talented but hated losing so badly I tried whatever I could to win. A few years later I got into the highest junior team as a striker, but my ankles and knees were already pretty much kicked all over the place. After another 16 months and a whole lot of attempts by defenders to burry me beneath the grass I decided I had enough and I really wasn't going to spend even one more day running circles around the field getting fit again. So I dropped it.

Thats were guitars kick in. Wasn't really into music, although I liked pink floyd and that kind of stuff I heared around the house. But hadn't much to do and grabbed an old accoustic from my father. Bought an electric not much later, mainly because everyone said I wasn't a musical type, and been playing ever since.

What my goal is? To be good enough that noone could fairly claim to be better then me. Music is different from sports in that there is no real way of winning or losing but it feels like that when I'm practicing. "there's a match next week and I'm going to make darn sure I'm not going to lose."

This time, there is no trainer telling me what to do and no opposition trying to break my fingers. This time I'm definitely not going to lose...

ReplyQuote
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member

I helped start up a church band towards the end of last year. Composed mostly of young (17-25) guys and girls who had only picked up an instrument for the first time in the last two years.

I joined as a vocalist because the group needed a male vocalist, and I was involved anyway in organising day to day stuff, despite not having any great musical ability or passion.

However, after seeing how much fun the guys had playing their instruments, I got sucked into it myself two months ago.

As far as my aspirations go, well, I'd like to be good enough to join in the band as guitarist, in the short term (6 - 9 months), although I don't expect to be able to lead or even play all the songs.

In the long run, performing is definitely not one of my goals - not in the entertainment sense. Probably just to keep learning, to keep my mind active and to have something that keeps me from wasting so much time playing pc games :D

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2