0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i found this if anyone is interested:

http://www.torvund.net/guitar/chords/C.asp

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

All good info - thanks very much for posting!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@bourgeoisbabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

OK, then NoteBoat, so.....if you are on the third fret then you're in the third position. That is what I am understanding.

So if one is using a capo...is the first playable fret considered the first fret & first position, (the first playable fret after the capo, that is). Am I getting nitpicky?

I really appreciate your sharing your knowledge, by the way. :D

Life pushes hard. Push back.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If you're using a capo, you could consider positions in either of two ways - either in relation to the nut (capo), or in relation to the fret markers.

So if you capo at the third fret, and you play an open C chord, you could think of it as first position. Or you could think of it as an Eb chord in third position - the capo picks up where your fingers leave off.

Either way works.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@bourgeoisbabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Excellent, NoteBoat, clear as a bell. I appreciate your expertise'. :idea:

ReplyQuote
(@bourgeoisbabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

And thank you Pearlthekat for posting that site.....looks handy!

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

this was a good topic for a thread!!

ReplyQuote
(@roundeye)

This discussion is like red beans and rice... good and good for you! It also serves to let me know that I have a long way to go in my playing.
Thanks guys for such a thought provoking, in depth read.

Nothing to see here...

ReplyQuote
(@jaycee)

Something I found usefull early on in my guitar playing is not to get to bogged down by the technical/theory side of it.

I am the type of person who likes to know why what where and when, if you apply this to guitar playing it can hinder your

progress. What I do now is learn the theory on a "need to know" basis, it becomes a natural progression.

"Listen to it ,Feel it, Play it"

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

What I do now is learn the theory on a "need to know" basis, it becomes a natural progression.
True enough, but sometimes you don't know that you need to know something, if you see what I mean. You can learn only what you need to, but you might be missing out on something that you could easily get your head that would open new doors in your playing.

I try and learn new things whenever I can, but only to a point where I can put it into practice - a bit more than 'need to know' but less than studying like mad. Just something to bear in mind :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@bourgeoisbabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thank you Jaycee and Chords and Scales, I am glad you posted your thoughts. I definately can get bogged down in details but I find knowing where I am going to be inspiring......I guess the key is balance, have fun and be satisfied with your growth.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2