Notifications
Clear all

Where do I start?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@tymaster25)
Topic starter  

I have been "playing guitar" for abouth a month. I mean Playing as in looking up tabs and playing them. Will someone please give me some ideas to get started. I have a Electric/Acoustic guitar. I am 13 and cant afford lessons.
PLEASE HELP Thks

(@almann1979)
Noble Member

just find a song you like and learn to strum along to it. that'll teach you chords and youll enjoy it, so you wont give up. then when you can do that on a few songs and know your barre chords, learn your scales and start learning simple solos' - oasis is good for this. see if you can see how the solo's fit into the scales. after this, you are well on your way.

having said that, im no expert, but this is what i did 36months ago and i think i've progressed well.
good luck

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

First off, welcome to Guitar Noise. In my opinion it is "the" place to come for anything guitar related. Here is a link for the easy song lessons on this website. https://www.guitarnoise.com/topics/easy-guitar-songs/
You can also go to the "Easy Song Index." I would suggest starting with the lessons first. If there is anything you need help with, don't be afraid to ask. There are a lot of great people that post here.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I second the Guitar Noise lessons. I already was a fairly experienced player when I found Guitar Noise, but if I were a beginner, those lessons are the place to start. I have looked at them cause I wanted the tab for some of the songs covered and I admit, I am impressed. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I have been "playing guitar" for abouth a month. I mean Playing as in looking up tabs and playing them. Will someone please give me some ideas to get started. I have a Electric/Acoustic guitar. I am 13 and cant afford lessons.
PLEASE HELP Thks

You'll probably get a better response if you provide more information about what you want help with. If you're okay picking up tabs and playing them, you can always continue doing that. But I'm guessing you wouldn't have posted if that was the case. Are you worried you're not learning the mechanics of the music you're playing (i.e. what key a song is in, what chords you're playing when following tab, why a riff works well with a particular song)? Also, what kind of music do you want to play? I could give you a ton of advice if you want e.g. play blues and/or jazz. And there are others on this site who could give you tons of info on what to do if you want to learn to shred. But if you have no interest in the blues and./or shredding, all that info would be of (potentially) little use.

Hope that doesn't sound rude, its just that your initial post is prett vague.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@tymaster25)
Topic starter  

PLEASE HELP Thks

You'll probably get a better response if you provide more information about what you want help with. If you're okay picking up tabs and playing them, you can always continue doing that. But I'm guessing you wouldn't have posted if that was the case. Are you worried you're not learning the mechanics of the music you're playing (i.e. what key a song is in, what chords you're playing when following tab, why a riff works well with a particular song)? Also, what kind of music do you want to play? I could give you a ton of advice if you want e.g. play blues and/or jazz. And there are others on this site who could give you tons of info on what to do if you want to learn to shred. But if you have no interest in the blues and./or shredding, all that info would be of (potentially) little use.

Hope that doesn't sound rude, its just that your initial post is prett vague.
Well the artist that i look up tabs fo are metallica guns n roses ac dc led zepplin aerosmith etc. 8)

also " Are you worried you're not learning the mechanics of the music you're playing (i.e. what key a song is in, what chords you're playing when following tab, why a riff works well with a particular song)?" Yes that is one of my main concerns

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Well the artist that i look up tabs fo are metallica guns n roses ac dc led zepplin aerosmith etc. 8)

Well, dude, you're not going to like it but you're trying to break the 100 metres record before you can walk.

Take yourself over to the lessons on this site. Anything by David Hodge is properly thought out and more than worth the time it'll take to work through it. There's also some stuff by our very own Nick which will fry your brains, and some reprobate called Alan Green has some fingerstyle blues lessons over there. There's chord melody stuff, and a great lesson called "Theory Without Tears" - go get stuck in. In fact, there's probably a lesson or two on anything you can think of, and probably some things you can't.

The bands you've names produce some excellent material, you need to work up to them.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote