(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yes I do know some complte songs.
My goals are to play in a band some day

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

After seven months you should either be in a band or an asylum - or a band AND an asylum!

Seriously, it looks as if you've covered a lot of the basics - just remember, whatever else you may learn, go back to those basics from time to time and practise them. You may find different ways to play certain chords - like for instance, playing a G chord with your 1st, 2nd and 3rd fingers - easier - or with your 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers - more versatile, leaves your 1st finger free for little fills and hammer-ons etc.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I already play my G chord with my 2,3,4 fingers :D
Thanks vic!
PS what is an asylum?

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

PS what is an asylum?
It's my current residence. 8)
But the doctors say I'm making progress and that maybe soon I'll be discharged . . .

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I already play my G chord with my 2,3,4 fingers :D
Thanks vic!
PS what is an asylum?

think dorthea dix

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I think you're in fine shape, as others have said. My road to where I am now is littered with how-not-to's, but my biggest mistake was taking way too long to learn an entire song. Several here told me in a thread a couple of years ago. Not I need to back track and work on technical stuff. My picking stinks, I know crap for theory (have a book to read, but been too sick to read it) and forget about leads.....

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

on the subject of G chords, try playing it with your 1st, 2nd and 4th fingers. Then, use your 3rd finger to fret the 2nd string (B string) at the 3rd fret (D note). you can then move your 1st and 2nd fingers down to the 5th and 4th strings respectively, fretting where you would for a C hord. Keeping the B string fretted gives you a Csus2 (I think - a C chord with a D note in it, anyways) and you can then move this shape up to the 5th fret. thiscombination of chords can give you some ideas for the basic C, G, D, (in various orders) song format. :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Cadd9, I think you're thinking (X32033), right?

As Scrybe says, this switch from G to Cadd9 is not only easy, it's very colorful and makes a typical G to C change more interesting. You'll hear it at the beginning of songs like Take It Easy by the Eagles or the Beatles' A Hard Day's Night.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

sounds cool...to bad this was'int new to me :( that 5th fret thing sounds like something I need to try :)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Keeping the B string fretted gives you a Csus2 (I think - a C chord with a D note in it, anyways)

As David pointed out, this is really a C add 9 chord. Your index finger is sounding out the E (major 3rd of the chord). If that note were not present you could call it a Csus2. I do like C add 9 chords.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2