Alright Now - Â Free

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Wes's Classic Rock-       Alright Now      Free

One of the greatest Rock guitarists was Paul Kossoff of Free. Eric Clapton went to him to find out how he got his incredible vibrato. Paul also liked to use unusual chord forms. This also contributed to his great style.

Unfortunately, Paul was a heavy drug user. His health deteriorated. His heart failed on a flight from LA to New York in 1976. He was 25 years old.  

Over the years I have seen many bands perform this song, but none of them properly. I promise you this is very close.

e---5-------------5------------------------------------------------5-----
b---5--------3----5---------2-h--3--3--3--3-----2-h-3--3--3--------5-----
g---2--------2----2---------2----2--2--2--2-----2---2--2--2--------2-----
d---2--------4----2---------2-h--4--4--4--4-----2-h-4--4--4--------2-----
a---0----0--------0-----0---------------------------------------0--0-----
e------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of the most famous Riffs in Rock music. Hold a barre at the 2nd fret with your index  finger, and a mini barre at the 5th fret with your pinky. To get the D/F# chord simply hammer your ring and middle fingers down. This riff is played continuously over and over during all verses. Paul was using a Les Paul through Marshall amps at this time. Use overdrive distortion.

Now the chorus

e--5---5---5-----------------------------------5----
b--5---5---5-------------3---------3---3-------5----
g--2---2---2-------------0---------2---2-------2----   X  2
d--2---2---2----4---2----5---------4---4-------2----
a--0---0---0-----------------------------------0----
e---------------------------------------------------

The G chord is an example of the unusual forms Paul Kossoff used. Let it ring. I have not intended to tab any solo, but I have to show you a little solo that leads to the rhythm guitar played during the solo. Paul was heavily influenced by the Blues.

e-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
b----13b---13b---13b----15-13b----------13b'--15b(17)p13-----15--15-13b-------
g-14----14----14-----14---------14-14--------------------14--------------14--
d-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
a-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
e-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

e------------------------------------------------------------14b(15)—12b----15b(17)-
b----13b---13b---13b----15-13b----------13b'--15b(17)p13-----------------13---------
g-14----14----14----14----------14-14--------------------14-------------------------
d-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
e-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome Blues/Country chicken pickin' here. The note at the 13th fret is bent ever so slightly. This is the A minor Pentatonic 4th position.

e------------------------------------------------------
b-------------------------------------3---------3------
g-------------------------------------0---------2------
d---------------------------------5---------4----------
a------------------------------------------------------
e--5-5---5-0--2--5-5--0--2-----------------------------

The notes on the low E string are really played by the bass guitar, This section is played over and over throughout the solo. The solo ends on a basic E chord  022100. Then the chorus is repeated over and over and finally ends on Paul's special A chord  X02255

I will not show the solo. But you should give it a listen. You will hear Paul's fantastic vibrato. The solo starts with the A major pentatonic 1st postion (2nd fret) and then switches to the A minor pentatonic at the 5th (1st position), 12th (4th position), and 17th (1st position) frets.

Alright Now

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@Anonymous)

Wes you never cease to amaze/delight me!! This has long been one of those songs that i could manage a half-assed version of - this is great! *sounds here of incompetent guitarist trying to put mini barre on at 5th fret* Another one to practise!!

Working on CCR tab - should take, oh, about half-a-dozen pots of tea and a packet of cigarettes! Will try and post it later today.

Vic

:) :) :)

:)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Wes, that is great man. very well put together. and your tab form looks pretty good as well. i hope you didn't spend hours of fustration to get it like that...i need to send you that thing i have..

great song by the way. thanks man.  8)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Vic and Grim

I'm trying to put songs that are both great sounding and EASY.

I made a mistake though. After the solo, you're supposed to repeat the 1st verse again, then play the chorus over and over.

My next tab is going to be DISTURBED. I don't just play Geezer rock you know.

Grim- I could use that template. I had to edit this one about 10 times. I write the tab in Word, when I try to post it, it comes out crazy. Very hard to make chords line up.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Wes,

All my tab is in Word as well.  I use Courier New font myself.  I found it to be the best, and I no longer tab over for spaces but do individual spaces and everything lines up... but yeah, lots of edits when posting to the site.

If you want, you could e-mail me a copy of the Word doc that has this Free song... [email protected]

Later,

J.R.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wes,

Not sure where you've been but I just happened to notice this because of a post that Vic made in the Brother Louie tab.

I learned this song recently and you are correct most of the tab is incorrect. I didn't use a version similar to this because it seemed like the chords were too unfamiliar.

The version I play starts with just a regular A major chord at the second fret.

I guess I should be a man an learn the proper way.

Chris

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote