3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Dirty World - Traveling Wilburys.

Intro - E / D/ A / E . The first two times these chords are strummed once each;
the next two times, with a fuller strum. DISCLAIMER: I am USELESS at translating
strumming patterns to paper, or in this case to a computer screen. I have a very
idiosyncratic approach to strumming; I tend to feel my way into a rhythm rather
than copy what's written down.

For the main body of the song, don't be put off by the barre chords (E to C#m,
A to Abm) - this is in the original key. There is an easier way to play this using
mostly open chords with just a couple of barres thrown in: more on that later.

(E)He loves your (A)sexy (E)body,(C#m) he (E)loves your (A)dirty (E)mind, (C#m)
(E)He loves (A)when you (E)hold him(C#m), (E)grab him (A)from be(E)hind, (C#m)
(A)Oh (Abm)baby, you're (A)such a pretty (Abm)thing,
I can't (A)wait to intro(Abm)duce you to the other (B)members of my gang,

(E)You don't (A)need no (E)wax job,(C#m) you're (E)smooth e(A)nough for (E)me, (C#m)
(E)If you (A)need your (E)oil changed,(C#m) I'll (E)do it (A)for you (E)free, (C#m)
(A)Oh (Abm)baby, the (A)pleasure would be all (Abm)mine,
If you (A)let me drive your (Abm)pickup truck and (B)park it where the sun don't shine,

Repeat intro here; twice with single strums, twice more heavily strummed.

(E)Every (A)time he (E)touches (C#m)you, his (E)hair stands (A)up on (E)end, (C#m)
His (E)legs be(A)gin to (E)quiver,(C#m) and his (E)mind be(A)gins to (E)bend, (C#m)
(A)Oh (Abm)baby, you're (A)such a tasty (Abm)treat,
But I'm (A)under doctor's (Abm)orders I'm a(B)fraid to over-eat,

He (E)loves your (A)sense of (E)humour,(C#m) your (E)dispo(A)sition (E)too, (C#m)
There's (E)abso(A))lutely (E)nothing, (C#m)that he (E)don't love (E)about (A)you, (C#m)
(A)Oh (Abm)baby, I'm (A)on my hands and (Abm)knees,
(A)Life would be so (Abm)simple if I (B)only had you to please,
(A)Oh (Abm)baby, turn a(A)round and say good(Abm)bye,
(A)You're goin' to the (Abm)airport now and (B)I'm going home to cry,

Repeat the last two lines of the intro riff here - the fully strummed lines - then
repeat throughout the next section like this.....

(E)He loves your....(D)electric (A)dum(E)plings,
He loves your....(D)red bell (A)pep(E)pers,
He loves your....(D)fuel in(A)jec(E)tion,
He loves your....(D)service (A)charge,(E)
He loves your....(D)five-speed (A)gear(E)box,
He loves your....(D)long en(A)dur(E)ance,
He loves your....(D)quest for (A)junk (E)food,
He loves your....(D)big refriger(A)a(E)tor,
He loves your....(D)trembling (A)wil(E)bury,
He loves your....(D)marble (A)ear(E)rings,
He loves your....(D)porky (A)cur(E)tains,
He loves your....(D)power (A)steer(E)ing,
He loves your....(D)bottled (A)wat(E)er,
He loves your....(D)parts and (A)ser(E)vice.

E / A / E / C#m
E / A / E / C#m

(E)Dirty (A)world, a (E)dirty (C#m)world, it's a (E)...kin' (A)dirty (E)world, (C#m)

repeat E / A / E / C#m and fade.......

Not the easiest song to play - should really be classed as intermediate, IMO. There's
a lot of barre chords in there and it's full of quickish, snappy riffs - I actually play
it as all barre chords, using 779997 for E, 557775 for D, 577655 for A, 446654 for C#m
(or sometimes 9 11 11 9 9 9!), 466444 for Abm, and 779997 for B.

The problem with transposing this is, you've two sets of chords (D and C#m, and A and
Abm) with only a semitone between them; the only realistic way to get around that is by
using F and Em, and Bb and Am chords. But hey, it's not all doom and gloom. To use
these chords, you've got to put a capo on at the fourth fret - and it's a LOT easier to play
a Bb chord (relative to the capo, of course - it's tabbed 113331 with a capo on the fourth
fret, but what you're actually playing is 557775, which is the barre D chord I use in the
original key!)

So, with a capo on the fourth fret, the intro riff would be....

C / Bb / F / C.....don't be scared of trying those chords, the capo will lower your
strings nearer the fretboard - it's much easier to play, say, a Bb chord with the capo on
the fourth fret than without it at the first fret! I'd start with the C chord played like
this in relation to the capo....335553...that's actually 779997, which is the E chord I
actually start with without a capo! - then move down to the Bb chord using the same finger
configuration.

Then the verses would look like this.....

(C)He loves your (F)sexy (C)body,(Am) he (C)loves your (F)dirty (C)mind, (Am)
(C)He loves (F)when you (C)hold him(Am), (C)grab him (F)from be(C)hind, (Am)
(F)Oh (Em)baby, you're (F)such a pretty (Em)thing,
I can't (F)wait to intro(Em)duce you to the other (G)members of my gang....etc.

I have to admit, I looked up a tab for this - but only for the lyrics. I'd already worked
the riffs out - I've been listening to this album a lot this week. I've been stripping,
filling, sandpapering and painting a staircase, so I've been alternating between Traveling
Wilburys Vol 1 and Who's Next while I've been working. But as some of you might know, I've
been saying for a while, "don't take internet tabs on trust - try them yourself, then do
a little experimentation and trial and error." For instance, here's the link to the site I
got the lyrics from....

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/t/traveling_wilburys/dirty_world_crd.htm

if you want to get really confused I suggest you put the CD on and try that tab - I really
can't believe how far out it is. And I don't mean "far out" in a 60's hippie way, meaning
a good thing......!!!!! I tried several other sites, and it seems like they're all using the
same tab - and it's just WRONG! I'm not saying this tab's perfect, but it's a hell of a lot
closer than any I've found on my trawls through the 'net.....

And the moral of the story is - USE YOUR EARS! You might think you're a beginner now, but
I bet if you play that ultimate guitar tab, then try this tab, you'll notice the difference
between the UG verses - no minor chords - and my version. And where did the F#m chords come
from in their tab?

Oh well.....this should serve as a good introduction to barre chords, if you really like
this song. I love it - good, simple, unpretentious rock'n'roll fun - a little tricky to
play, but do you really think George or Bob or Jeff or Roy or Tom didn't have trouble with
Bb's and F's and C#m's when they were beginners?

As always, any questions, feel free to ask - any mistakes, feel free to point 'em out. I HOPE there
aren't any....but I don't think there's a man or woman alive who's never made a mistake. To quote
CNev quoting DHodge, (I think!) "The only way to avoid mistakes is not to play - and that's not an
option!"

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@preacher)
Estimable Member

wow. thanks Vic! My brother introduced me to the Traveling Wilburys when he saw that I was getting into Dylan, Harrison, and Tom Petty. I plan on 'wow-ing' him when he gets back from his trip. :D

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

I like it !!!

Nice one victor
:wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote