End of the World - Skeeter Davis

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Here is a beautiful standard that will be a good exercise in arpeggio strumming. "End of the World" was the signature song for Skeeter Davis and was covered by many others, including Herman's Hermits. I've mixed in some strums, a standard fill, and an instrumental at the end.

Nothing hard here, with the possible exception of the Bm chord for the beginner. . . . but even that will be good practice. When going from the Bm to the Am, simply lift the index finger and slide down to the first fret (thus fingering the Am chord with the middle, ring & pinky. (and the reverse applies going from the Am to the Bm). That should help.

Different strum patterns are used throughout the strong from a straight slow strum to a D DUD D, etc. Try to hear a recording if possible.

On the strum in Verse 3, I threw in a Dsus4 (one downstroke only), followed by a D (one stroke only). And on the next line a "Bm minus the index finger" (one downstroke only - sorry, I didn't know what to call it) followed by one downstroke on the Bm. Anyway, this added a little flavor (at least to my ear).

End of the World - Skeeter Davis

Arpeggios & [Fill 1]:

G D Em Bm
E ---------3------- ---------2------- ---------0------- ---------2--------
B -------0---0----- -------3---3----- -------0---0----- -------3---3------
G -----0-------0--- -----2-------2--- -----0-------0--- -----4-------4----
D ----------------- ---0------------- ---2------------- ----4-------------
A ----------------- ----------------- ----------------- ------------------
E ---3------------- ----------------- ----------------- ------------------

Am C D7 [Fill 1]
E ---------0------- ----------0------- ----------2------- ----------------------
B -------1---1----- --------1---1----- --------1---1----- ----------------------
G -----2-------2--- ------0-------0--- ------2-------2--- ----------------------
D ---2------------- ----2------------- ----0------------- ---0--2--0------------
A ----------------- ------------------ ------------------ ------------3--2--0---
E ----------------- ------------------ ------------------ ----------------------

Introduction (Arpeggio): G D G D

Verse 1 (Arpeggio):

G G D D
Why does the sun go on shining?
Em Em Bm Bm
Why does the sea rush to shore?
Am Am Bm Bm
Don't they know it's the end of the world
C Am D7 D7
Cause you don't love me any-more.

Verse 2 (Arpeggio):

G G D D
Why do the birds go on singing?
Em Em Bm Bm
Why do the stars glow a-bove?
Am Am Bm Bm
Don't they know it's the end of the world?
C D7 G
It ended when I lost your love.

Bridge (Strum):

C G
I wake up in the morning and I wonder
C D G
Why everything's the same as it was?
Bm Bm
I can't understand, no, I can't understand
C Am D7 [Fill 1]
How life goes on the way it does . . .

Verse 3 (Strum):

G D Dsus4(d) D(d)
Why does my heart go on beating?
Em Bm ?-lift index(d) Bm(replace index)(d)
Why do these eyes of mine cry?
Am Bm
C D7 G [Fill 1]
It ended when you said good-bye .

Verse 4 (Arpeggio):

[Talk]
G G D D
Why does my heart go on beating?
Em Em Bm Bm
Why do these eyes of mine cry?
[Sing]
Am Am Bm Bm
C D7 G
It ended when you said good-bye . . .

Instrumental Ending:

E ---------------------- -------0------------ ------------------- -----------------
B ---0---0-------------- -----0-----3-- ~ --- ------------------- -------1p0---0---
G ---------2p0---0------ ---0-----------2--- ---0---0----------- ---0-------------
D ---------------------- -------------------- -----------4s2-2--- -----------------
A ---------------------- -------------------- ------------------- -----------------
E ---------------------- -------------------- ------------------- -----------------

E --------0-----0--- -----0-2-------~ --- -----0-------------- --------------- ---3--
B ------------3----- ---3-------3-0-3---- ---3-----1---------- --------------- ---0--
G ---2-------------- -------------------- -----------2---0---- -------2---0--- ---0--
D ------------------ -------------------- -------------------- ---4----------- ---0--
A ------------------ -------------------- -------------------- --------------- ---2--
E ------------------ -------------------- -------------------- --------------- ---3--

p.s. Mary Penick changed her name to Skeeter Davis to match the last name of her singing partner and were known as the Davis Sisters. In the same year they scored their 1st big country hit in 1953, they were in an automobile accident in which the other girl was killed and Skeeter was critically injured. After a long recovery, Skeeter resumed her career and eventually came up with "End of the World."

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Shug, if this is what you mean on the Bm chord.....

E A D G B E
2 2 4 4 3 2 ...Bm, lifting the index to get
2 2 4 4 2 2 ....then this second chord is a Bsus2 chord (technically, it's an inversion of a Gbsus4 chord, but it's easier - even if it is incorrect - to think of it as a Bsus2.)

Clapton uses the same trick on "Badge" by Cream......

(Am)Thinking 'bout the (D)times you drove in my (Em)car (Esus2)(E)(Esus2)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Vic, actually I meant something a little different (but your answer may be the same). I was using a simplified Bm, rather than a bar Bm. So the intended change would be from:

EADGBE
XX4432 . . . and lift index to get
XX4430

Sorry that wasn't clearer, but thanks for the response. :D

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

ReplyQuote