Clear all

help with Tears In Heaven

20 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@dsus4)
Eminent Member

I think I still play it a little different:

I hammer on the low E with my thumb, play the open A string with my index finger.
Your post confused me for a while. I was thinking how are you hammering with your thumb?
Then It hit me, you are refering to your picking hand right?
My post was just how I fret.
I use my thumb on the low E and A strings , index on the G and middle on the B. for my picking hand.

Ya, you're right. Sorry for the confusion, I just kind of mixed everything up. With my picking hand, I tend to play from note to note by alternating my index and thumb, if that makes anymore sense.
I never realized how hard it was to described how to play a song!!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I dont use a bar when I play it.
I do the first hammer on the low E with my middle finger.
There is an open A played next (It gives time to move my fingers)
I then fret the G and B strings with my index and middle fingers and play the hammer, pull with my ring finger. The rest you know.
I play this similar to the way missileman plays it, but I use my middle on the G and ring on the B, and hammer with my pinky. This may seem a little difficult at first, but it gives me economy of motion because my fingers are then in the perfect position to move up and fret the 4xx45x using index / middle / ring, and then the 2xx22x and much of the rest of the song with the same fingering.

Interesting how many variations there can be for playing the same few notes.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member

I like Kirk Loranges fingerpicking arrangement for this song.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/july.html

It's under EC Classic Parts 1-3

I didn't find it too difficult to learn.

ReplyQuote
(@iceman49)

ICEMAN49 iF YOU GO TO PLAY FAVOURITES. COM THERES A GOOD LESSON ON TEARS IN HEAVEN YOU MIGHT HAVE TO SUBSCRIBE TO GET IT I DID.GOOD LUCK.

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

I hammer-on the low E string 2nd.fret with my thumb(fretting hand). After the hammer-on, my thumb(Picking hand) plays the open A string. All the while, the A chord is barred(not played) with my Index finger. Next, I pluck the A note(3rd.string,2nd.fret) with my Index finger(Picking hand). Next, I hammer-on and pull-off the C# note(C#hDpC#)(2nd.string, 2nd. and 3rd.fret) with my middle finger, then play the A note (3rd.string,2nd.fret) with my Index finger(Picking hand). That way my fretting hand is in a good position to just move up the neck for the notes on the 4th. and 5th. frets, always using my thumb(fretting hand) on the low E string. I'll play the 2nd. string 5th. fret with my ring finger(fretting hand) and the 3rd. string 4th. fret with my middle finger(fretting hand).
The ( )'s may seem redundant but sometimes we get confused with new ideas. I know I do.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2