Staind - Outside (Live Version)

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mattutaylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Standard Tuning - Great song

Strumming Pattern - D D U D D (Probably Easier to listen to song)

Chords Used

Verse - E, D, G, Am

Chorus - E, G, D, A

Written by Aaron Lewis of Staind

Intro: E, D, G, Am

1st Verse

E
 And you,
D                             G
You bring me to my knees
Am
   Again
E
 All the times
D                              G
That I could beg you please
Am
 In vain
E
 All the times
D                    G
That I felt insecure
Am
 For you
E
 And I leave
D                             G                       Am                        
My burdens at your door

Chorus

E      
But I'm on the outside
                       G
And I'm looking in
              D
I can see through you
                     Am
See your true colors
                           E
'Cause inside your ugly
                    G
Your ugly like me
               D
I can see through you
                      A
See to the real you

E,D,G,Am

(Repeat the above for rest of song!)
All the times
That I felt like this won't end
it's for you
And I taste
What I could never have
It was from you
All the times
That I've tried
My intentions
Full of pride
But I waste
More time than anyone

But I'm on the outside
And I'm looking in
I can see through you
See your true colors
'Cause inside your ugly
Your ugly like me
I can see through you
See to the real you

All the times
That I've cried
All this wasted
It's all inside
And I feel
All this pain
Stuffed it down
It's back again
And I lie
Here in bed
All alone
I can't mend
But I feel
Tomorrow will be OK

But I'm on the outside
And I'm looking in
I can see through you
See your true colors
'Cause inside your ugly
Your ugly like me
I can see through you
See to the real you

Really Easy huh?

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ok, stupid beginner guestion I've been meaning to ask.

Are you strumming each chord  DDUDD throughout the song?

Sometimes in tabs like this where they have the chords over the words sometimes the chords are close together and sometimes farther apart and since tab doesn't really give you a feel for the rhythm or timing I was wondering when they are close together does that imply to strum it less than the four beats per measure?

I'll try and find an example hope you understand what I'm trying to ask.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@markyesme)
Estimable Member

Sometimes you will have to listen to the song.  Close on paper doesn't mean close in melody.  For example, let's say that you had one word, I don't know, "Hello".  You could sing it fast where each syllable is a sixteenth note, or you could stretch each syllable into a whole note each.  I am sure you could see how a chord per syllable would be extremely difficult in the first case and run-of-the-mill in the second.  Listening to the sections you are unsure of will probably help you work it out.

The Easy Song Database: http://www2.shore.net/~maryesme/bin/easy.cgi

Take part in its creation: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

ReplyQuote
(@mattutaylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Nev,

As an avid fan of staind, and especially this song i can guarantee the whole songs strumming pattern is DDUDD - This is really probably the simplest song to learn on guitar and i feel would be great for one of davids lessons.

Enjoy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Matt,

I really like ths song and it an easy song to strum.  I haven't listened to the song in awhile but from what I remember it didn't sound like they strummed the D chord for a full four beats but I'll listen again.

Part of the problem is I still have trouble singing and playing. Maybe I'll try recording me playing and then go back and sing over the guitar track it see how it comes out.

From what I remember though it sounds like they are hitting a different chord then the E. But I don't know what it is, but it sounds pretty good this way. I think they play it tuned down to maybe Eb or D?

Thanks.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@mattutaylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi again Nev.

The song is 100% standard tuning - the actual studio track is a weird alternate tuning though.

And you are partially right about the chords. The D is played 4 beats, but the final chord in the verse and the chorus is only strummed once.

Happy Playing :)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Thanks Matt, I do like that song alot and I used to see Staind all the time before they made it big. They used to play a club in Hartford, CT almost every week. That was like ten years ago.

I'll have to dig out the CD and play. I thought most of their stuff was played in alternate tunings.

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@mattutaylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It is and i REALLY wish i lived in the states! Staind have never toured here in the UK but i hope they will otherwise i have a lot of saving up to do!

My favourite songs have to be "Home", "Outside" and "Excess baggage". Oo and epiphany aswell. The tuning to epiphany is the one i always manage to snap my strings on. Goes Db Ab Db Ab Db Db. Weird hey? lol

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

It sounds really good like this, tune down a half step.
This is the studio version.  I tabbed it from the MTV Unplugged music video AND
from listening to the studio version.  Mostly all the tabs for the acoustic parts
are wrong, so here you have it, the right way to do it.  Also, i tabbed the electric
parts as Mike Mushok plays it, in particular on the right tuning.  Enjoy!

INTRO/VERSE

E5         D5         G         Asus2
Eb|--x-x-x-x----0-0-0-0----x-x-x-x----x-x-x-x----|
Bb|--0-0-0-0----0-0-0-0----0-0-0-0----0-0-0-0----|
Gb|--9-9-9-9----7-7-7-7----0-0-0-0----0-0-0-0----|
Db|--9-9-9-9----7-7-7-7----0-0-0-0----7-7-7-7----|
Ab|--7-7-7-7----5-5-5-5----5-5-5-5----7-7-7-7----|
Eb|--0-0-0-0----x-x-x-x----3-3-3-3----5-5-5-5----|

CHORUS

E         G(type2)    D         Asus2(type2)
Eb|--0-0-0-0----3-3-3-3----2-2-2-2----0-0-0-0----|
Bb|--0-0-0-0----3-3-3-3----3-3-3-3----0-0-0-0----|
Gb|--1-1-1-1----0-0-0-0----2-2-2-2----2-2-2-2----|
Db|--2-2-2-2----0-0-0-0----0-0-0-0----2-2-2-2----|
Ab|--2-2-2-2----2-2-2-2----x-x-x-x----0-0-0-0----|
Eb|--0-0-0-0----3-3-3-3----x-x-x-x----x-x-x-x----|

ReplyQuote
(@mattutaylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I said further up that the studio version was in an alternate tuning. It does sound as good though.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Matt,

I've probably seen Staind more than any other band as far as live. But I'm not a super Staind fan. I like their ballads the best.

I was the store yesterday and saw that Outside is tuned to Ab for the electric guitars. How do you tune to that? Up or down? If I tuned up I think I snap strings and if I tuned down it seems like there would be alot of slack?

Have you ever tried it? The acoustic is tuned to Eb, which isn't a problem.

Still a great song, I must have listened to this song a thousand times.

ReplyQuote
(@mattutaylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey again Nev -

I am a super staind fan but only because their ballads are great. The modern-day staind seem only to produce ballads anyway, if its not a ballad verse its the chorus. But anyways!

You are not asking an expert guitarist here about the tuning, but luckily you are asking a super staind fan! The Ab tuning is the same as in "Epiphany".

Db Ab Db Ab Db Db

If you listen closely to both songs (Studio versions) you can actually tell that both tracks sound pretty much the same. However, i can understand your worries about snapping strings (Especially the G!)

The first time i ever tuned this tuning i didnt snap anything. I thought "great". I woke up the next morning and tried it again and snapped the top e. Bummer but only cheap to replace! Anyway had it re-strung and tried it again, only to snap my G! It is difficult and you should probably be prepared to buy a couple of extra strings but I would advise you to wait a couple of days before trying it.

Why?

Because one of my favourite websites http://www.Alternatetuner.com have agreed to put sound files up for us. Basically it has loads of different tunings each with a sound file for the separate strings. Cool hey?

Anyway let me know how you get on

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@hughmoris)
Eminent Member

I know this is an old topic, but i just discovered it. I am trying to get the strum pattern down and its just not sounding right. I am trying D D U DD and it just sounds off. I'ved listened to different versions of it and the strum pattern sounds different. Anyone someone could upload an example of it, kinda like David Hodges lesson, explaining the strumming as you do it?

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

Hughmoris:

Like others have said, it's tough to get an exact pattern of what you hear or think you hear on a recording. As long as you have the rhythm and feel down you can use most any pattern with the same timing. For example, I misread the post and played it all weekend with a “D D DU D”, not the “D DU D D” suggested in the post. And it sounded fine to me after I got the rhythm and feel down.

ReplyQuote