Clear all

Tom Petty - Mary Jane's Last Dance

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's been quite some time since I've contributed to this project that's given me so much. Here's an easy 4 chord tune to do. The verse is pretty much just Am-G-D-AM, repeat as needed (yes, the Am chords get played back to back). Chorus is Em-A-Em-A-G

It can be done like some of David Hodges' lessons where he shows us how to do the basic feeling for the song and then enhances the arrangement to add some spark to it....kind of like Petty and Campbell do during the intro, etc. The basic way I do it is a quick downstroke and upstroke, followed by a longer downstroke. Then switch the chords. I also do a quick down/up followed by partial-quick down and a longer down.

The Chorus for me is just some downstrokes until near the end of the A chord. I guess find the song somewhere and do what sounds right to you.

Remember, this is a rock song performed by 5 arranged for 1. Enjoy!
{t:Last Dance With Mary Jane}
{st:Tom Petty}

Intro: Am (hammer on index finger) G D Am

[Am]She grew up in an [G]Indiana town
Had a [D]good lookin' momma who[Am] never was around
But she[Am] grew up tall and she [G]grew up right
With them [D]Indiana boys on an [Am]Indiana night

Well she moved down here at the age of 18
She blew the boys away, it was more than they'd seen
I was introduced and we both started groovin'
She said, "I dig you baby but I got to keep movin'"
...on, keep movin' on

{c:Chorus:}
{soc}
Last dance with Mary Jane
One more time to kill the flame[A]
I feel summer creepin' in and I'm
Tired of this town again [A] [G]
{eoc}
Am | G ||| D ||| Am |

Well I don't know but I've been told
You never slow down, you never grow old
I'm tired of screwing up, I'm tired of bein' down
I'm tire of myself, I'm tired of this town
Oh my my, oh hell yes
Honey put on that party dress
Buy me a drink, sing me a song,
Take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long

{c:Chorus:}

There's pidgeons down in Market Square
She's standin' in her underwear
Lookin' down from a hotel room
Nightfall will be comin' soon
Oh my my, oh hell yes
You've got to put on that party dress
It was too cold to cry when I woke up alone
I hit the last number, I walked to the road

Repeat chorus and fade.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

you mean like ths???

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fIOYLMnTt0s

guess its THAT easy :roll:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

you mean like ths???

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fIOYLMnTt0s

guess its THAT easy :roll:
Whenever I'm finding something difficult to get to grips with (A shape barres at the moment...) and I'm feeling demotivated, I watch that video and remind myself that I have -no- excuses not to work through my problems.

Proper inspiration.

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Roy

Thanks for the great song. I joined a new band about 3-4 months ago and we're still building a set list. This weekend we talked about adding some Tom Petty songs and this was the one I wanted to do. I'm gonna make a copy and send to all the guys. Great song.

Thanks again!

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi Wes, another crowd fav is American Girl. It's got a nice groove to it.....unless it's me playing it. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

Thanks, I have been looking for a solo arrangement for this one. What do you mean by" Am (hammer on index finger)" ?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, I have been looking for a solo arrangement for this one. What do you mean by" Am (hammer on index finger)" ?

I've always interpretted it as nail the Am chord without the index finger on the b string, but hit the index finger hard on it right after the chord.

Oh, there's an error in the first verse. Correcting it shortly.

fixed.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member

This is a great song. Another easy Petty song is Breakdown. It is Am and G all the way through with an F thrown in every now and again. There's also a nice lead that slides up and down the neck. It's also pretty easy.

As for Mary Jane, I started playing the Am by hammering the index finger. Another guitar player in my band suggested that I try starting with the index finger down and hammering the 2nd and 3rd fingers. Gives it a bit of a different sound.

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

This is a great song. Another easy Petty song is Breakdown. It is Am and G all the way through with an F thrown in every now and again. There's also a nice lead that slides up and down the neck. It's also pretty easy.

As for Mary Jane, I started playing the Am by hammering the index finger. Another guitar player in my band suggested that I try starting with the index finger down and hammering the 2nd and 3rd fingers. Gives it a bit of a different sound.

I've always played it the way your bandmate suggested. Always sounded right to me.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

OK, I need some help here, with your DU D switch chord DU D etc pattern, where does the hammer on the Am occur?

Is it D hammer U D or something else?

Also, the break after the first chorus implies a single Am followed by 3 G's 3 D's back to single Am.

Thanks for your help.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I've been messsing with this and it's fun to play.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Roy

Thanks for the great song. I joined a new band about 3-4 months ago and we're still building a set list. This weekend we talked about adding some Tom Petty songs and this was the one I wanted to do. I'm gonna make a copy and send to all the guys. Great song.

Thanks again!

Wes
New band Wes? Guess I missed this.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote