Clear all

Advice on effects placement

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@blakthorn666)
Topic starter  

Hi guys,

I would like an advice from all of you experts here about effects placement. I've been playing for a while, but I just recently got all of these effects and I'm not getting results that are very convincing with my current setup.

Here's my current gear:
- Ibanez RG7621 ( )
- Mesa Boogie 3-channel Dual Rectifier Solo Head ( )
- Mesa Boogie Road King 4x12 Slant Cab ( )
- Boss BCB-60 pedal board ( )
- Boss TU-2 Tuner ( )
- Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor ( )
- Boss GE-7 EQ ( )
- Boss HM-2 Distorsion ( ) [for certain songs only, I mainly use the Mesa head's channel 3 distortion]
- Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble ( )
- Boss DD-3 Digital Delay ( )
- Boss RV-5 Reverb ( )

My question is : what should I plug right into my Dual Rectifier's send-return input jacks and what should I plug right between my guitar and my head's input jack? Also, what's the order of the stompboxes that you would suggest?

RIght now, the way they are all connected is as follows:

Guitar -> BCB-60 input -> Boss TU-2 -> Boss NS-2 -> Boss GE-7 -> Boss HM-2 -> BCB-60 output -> Mesa head input jack
+
Mesa head's Send channel -> Boss RV-5 -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss CE-5 -> Mesa head's Return channel

I'm getting a very annoying low-humming sound when I'm using the send-return channels, even if I'm using only one pedal.

Any advices? I can be more specific if you guys need any other info.

Thanks in advance!

(@davidhodge)

Placement of effects in a chain is usually a lot of personal choices based on a lot of experimentation. There are a lot of threads in this particular forum page that deal with it, and you might also find this particular article to be of help:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/loup-garou/

I'm sure others will be chiming in with their opinions as well, but in the meantime, look through this particular forum ("From Here to There") to get you started.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd try the NS-2 after the HM-2 - currently you're suppressing noise from the guitar and tuner, nothing else.

In the loop, I'd try the chorus before the delay pedals.

Have you tried directly connecting the send and receive? Is the noise still there? If not, what do you have to add to get bring it back? If it is still there, what do you have to remove to get rid of it? It may be that it is noise, created in the pre-pre-amp chain and is being amplified by the pre-amp to unacceptable levels. Take each pedal out, one at a time, to see if you can isolate the culprit. Don't just turn the pedal off, physically remove it from the chain.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@blakthorn666)
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot for your replies, guys. Sorry for taking so long before replying.

I went to my rehearsal spot and tried a few things.

Greybeard:
I have tried to eah pedal at once in the effects loop and I still get awful feedback as soon as I use the distorsion and sometimes the loud hum I was talking about in my post.

I searched on Google and found some posts on other forums about other Mesa users who had a similar problem with their send/return channels, but I haven't found a good reply yet.

Any other ideas?

BTW, dhodge, thanks for the link, very interesting article.

ReplyQuote