Amp help

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@bluebird007)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello guys
I need a little bit help here. Am having a Vox AD30VT amp, which doest have an effects loop. I was wondering if i could use a Boss GT8 Guitar Effects Processor or a distorion pedal with my amp using an A/B switch. Plz help me with this. If i could, instructions plz. Thanx in advance.

vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I think you can use either. If you want to use the GT8, I would set up the Botique Clean model on the amp. It's a little redundant to have the GT-8 and the VOX AD30VT, because you have a modeling processor and a modeling amp.

For the distortion, you can use it on any of the models, but would make more sense on the "left hand side" clean models (botique clean through the vox models -- once you get to British 70's model, those amp models are already distorted, so a distortion pedal may be too much).

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@bluebird007)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanx for the reply. But can u explain how to connect with the a/b switch?
And if u think the GT-8 is a bit redundant, wat do u recommend?

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Ah, I missed that part about the A/B switch. You mean you want to use either the GT-8 or the distortion pedal? Since the VOX has only one input, I think you need some more complex switching, like two A/B switches. I am not sure. I have not played with A/B/Y switches, so I don't know exactly what is needed. Hopefully someone else can help.

(By saying it was redundant, I was indicating that you have two pieces of gear in the chain which do almost the same thing. And from what I've heard, the GT-8 is very good at what it does. You may want to use something like a PA and play the GT-8 through that rather than a guitar amp, or have a very neutral amp, like one of the Behringers, which allow you to connect something purely to the power amp section. If I had both, I would probably use the GT-8 for recording etc, or through a stereo system, rather than connect it to the Vox).

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@bluebird007)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanx for the reply again. I will rethink abt the GT-8. But I need a wah-wah pedal for my vox 30vt, becoz the effect is crappy in the amp.So I think, I really need a A/B switch for connect the wah-wah pedal. Any suggestions. I would like to have a gud description abt the connection coz i couldnt find it anywhere. Thanx in advance

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

You can connect both the WAH and the distortion pedal in series. No need to have an A/B switch for that.

I don't know which one should go first, but, your chain will look something like:

Gtr->WAH->DIST->AMP

Then you turn them on and off as you need with the footswitches.

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@bluebird007)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Gud to know i dont need a A/B switch for a wah-wah pedal.
One more question for u, vink. I saw ur avatar, a vox AD amp. I like to change my speakers to celestion speakers. I have 3 different models in mind-> G 10 vintage, G 12 century vintage & Vintage 30. Except the G 10 vintage, the others are 12" speakers and all are 60W. Do u know I could use a 12" & 60W speaker in AD30VT. which speaker model will u prefer if u replace.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Sorry .. I just use the stock speaker, I have not replaced it, and I have no experience with any of these speakers. Right now, the VOX does fine for me as is, since I am still a beginner, I've only been playing over a year.

I don't know if a 12 inch will fit; there is no harm in using a higher wattage speaker. But, if I were to do that, I would probably get a 1x12 cabinet and just modify the VOX to add a speaker jack. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, I don't know a tech would charge...
That way, you can still use your existing speaker or the new speaker. Also, if you get another amp, you can use the cabinet. It will cost a bit more, but it's probably a better long term strategy..

--vink

ReplyQuote