Boss GT-10 Coming Soon!

37 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
12.9 K Views
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=941 It's going for $500 on Musician's Friend when it's available in a week.

As some might remember, I own what will soon be two versions ago in the form of a GT-6. After much effort, I got it working fairly decently and use it in my home office with my old solid-state amp. Main rig still the Blues Deluxe with pedals. Still can't beat it. :)

Anyhow, if any of you try this bad-boy out, post a review please. It's supposedly got a better sound engine and the interface looks much simpler than the GT-8 and GT-10. Well, less knobs anyway. Might that result in needing to actually hit more buttons?

If it's decent, I might craigslist the GT-6 and put that dough towards a GT-10. I remember Ignar (I think) stating that he's got a friend with a GT-8 that sounds great.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@97reb)
Noble Member

Looks great Roy, hopefully simple. I'd like to side by side compare it to the GT-6 and the ME-50. Supposedly next generation.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Just looking at that thing gives me a headache! I can't be bothered with devoting half of my waking hours into learning how to operate something like that. Heck, I'm not even sure how to use all of the bells & whistles on my Behringer Mod amp! Keep it simple, I say. :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just looking at that thing gives me a headache! I can't be bothered with devoting half of my waking hours into learning how to operate something like that. Heck, I'm not even sure how to use all of the bells & whistles on my Behringer Mod amp! Keep it simple, I say. :mrgreen:

Think that's bad, look at the GT-6 and GT-8. More buttons on it than a NASA control room.
Looks great Roy, hopefully simple. I'd like to side by side compare it to the GT-6 and the ME-50. Supposedly next generation.

Yup. Very curious. You figure technology might one day get us there.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I don't have a friend with a GT8, I own one. So far the specs have been pretty vague. The soundsamples I've heared so far also sound strangely like the GT8. I'd like to try one out but it seems to be more of a Gt8 Mark2. Time will tell.

Roy, if you have any specific questions about the GT8, just ask.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

The only thing I like about the "10" is the graphical user interface (ie EZ EQ tweaks and the USB port now).

Other than that, all I've read on it is that its a rework of the "8" with some tweaks for easier use and they did take away quite a few of the amp models. I think I'll wait till the 12 comes out to give it any serious consideration.

Roy if your interested, I'd look into the GT8 when they start going for less once the 10 hits the markets.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ahhhh, that's it. I knew I remembered you talking abut one. I think you even posted a sound sample...Pink Floyd maybe. Regardless, it sounded pretty good.

Dagwood, I've yet to see one in person, but the GUI does look better than the airplace cock-pit thing. I was mainly interested in the sound though. The marketing hype states something like a "significant improvement....". (Yeah, I know. Don't use quote marks when not sure of the exact wording. )

Not sure if I'll fork over any dough soon. When T.S. Elliott wrote "April is the cruelest month", he was thinking about my annual tax & insurance expenses. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Now dangit, Roy. I come to this here site to avoid such talk as taxes and insurance! Quit lettin' reality leak into your posts. :wink:

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Roy,

I'd stay tuned to Kewlpacks page. I'm sure he'll be one of the first to review it, prolly with sound clips too.

www.thestompbox.net

Or someone over at bossgtcentral.com, if they haven't already. I haven't been to either one in a while.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Roy, if you have any specific questions about the GT8, just ask.

Ignar (or anyone?) I was wondering what you have thought of or heard of from the new GT10, if anything? I've done a fair amount of research and am under the impression that it's easier to use, the amp models are better (which does not matter to me) and the presets are better (and catagorized even?). I'm might go check one out later today, if the star align properly.....

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I've been wondering about the sound engine. Boss is making a lot of noise but they're not saying anything specific. As far as I can see the 'latest DSP processing' is the same as in the GT8 and most of the specs are identical (sampling frequency, dynamic range, AD conversion). They do have a new system which is basically a new way to structurize presets. You say the genre and what guitar you have and they'll pick a sound that hopefully is what you want. It might be nice in the beginning but you're going to have to dial in the sounds yourself eventually anyway.

As for interface, it's pretty funny. When the GT6 came out (with the knobs) Boss said it would be much easier then the menus. Now they're doing the exact opposite and claiming the same. The simple truth is that both could work but it'll require some thought of the user. My GT8 (with all the knobs) works quite like an amp. You have gain, EQ, volume and amp model knobs as the basic part, an overdrive pedal section with type, gain and volume, and knobs for chorus, reverb and delay. So you can dial in your basic sounds pretty fast. If you want to go to all the fancy settings (like how to connect the expression pedal to the chorus with a certain minimum feedback level) you'll be working in a menu and it'll take a bit of time to get the hang of it but it's not needed if you want a basic sound. And if you want complex sounds it's going to be a complex process no matter what way you're going to go.

Anyway, the GT10 seems to be a GT8plus. A new interface, extra room for presets etc. Oh, a nice plus of the GT10 is that it has USB. That's pretty nifty if you're going to record with it, no more extra ADDA conversions. :D If anyone has compared the ampsims, let thee be heared!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Interesting. Thanks for the quick response. I'm gonna go play with buttons in just a few minutes, and probably give it a ride.

I think my biggest thing is mudiness of the pre-sets on my GT-6. Sounds awful, and I've hooked the thing up every-which way that can be hooked up.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Presets suck everywhere but in a music store. If you get one, or a GT8, lead me know if you need some tones, or some help building them.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Same here Roy,

Let me know I have a ton of nice sounding patches too, much better than the stockers.

As far as the 10 goes...I think I'll wait for the GT12 to come out in a few years as Ignar has said, the ''10" seems to be a GT-8 PLUS.... however i do like the USB idea, but I'm not going to get one on that alone.

D-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, I just got back. My impressions:

#1: Big thumbs up for the user interface. I'm not sure how much more this does, but doing it is easier at least.

#2: EZ-Tone: They did it right with this. No totally ambigious titles. Many starting points, probably 2-3 dozen. Useful too.

#3: Presets - Tone: Could not tell. Sounded similar. Too much.

#4: Presets - Usability: An interface change made these easy to work with.

All in all, I give this unit high marks. I am not sure if I will get one, though. It's a lot more intuitive, almost graphical at times, but it really does about the same thing behind the scenes. There's a nifty little x-y axis chart thingy that lets you move a slider thingy up and down or left to right. It weakens or strengthens various effects for the given preset. In reality, it's replacing the need for knowledge. If something's too harsh, say, and you want to tone it down so you can lay some backing chords out, it's really simple to do without having to know which effect you need to adjust, or in what combinations.

You can always go to the individual effects if you want, and it's easier now. The UI spits up 4 effects at a time on with little knob icons that let you know the setting without having to twist a knob. Of course, you still have to save your work once you're done, which reminds you that behind it all is pretty much the same thing as before.

The presets (and EZ Tones starting points) all have names and categories, and the presets have strength indicators (soft, hard, metal, etc). As anyone with a multi-effects box knows, pouring through 200 presets all mixed up is one big time-consuming task. The GT-6 didn't have any indication anywhere except for the name at would remotely describe the preset with any consistency. Yes, the name sometimes mades sense, but not consistent.

Now for tone. The only way you can tell is this. Buy one, bring it home and play with it. Boss has a great display with this thing in it. Inside of the display sits a whole big amplification unit with 10" speakers inside. Awesome as heck, but I don't have one of these in my house. Hence, it ain't gonna be the same. I guess that's where a satisfaction return policy comes in handy? I guess it covers those. Still, this thing isn't bad. I prefer the set up in the other room that I have (tube amp with analog pedals, but the set up in my office uses the multi-effects going into a FM212R solid state) , but this isn't bad a t all and gives me a toy with bells and whistles.

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3