Skip to content
Fender hotrod Amp d...

Notifications
Clear all

Fender hotrod Amp drive sound in a pedal?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jamestinney)
Topic starter  

Is there a drive pedal that gets near the fender hot rod amp drive sound?

For example, the song "Warning Sign" is a particularly good example of this sound (8th Track on Coldplay's 2nd Album 'Rush of Blood to the Head' & also many other of Coldplay's tracks). I mention this cause the Hot Rod sound is more frequently used in the mainstream by Indie Band sound than a 'classic' blues sound.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Many thanks

James

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

there's a whole bunch of pedals (by Boss, I think) which purport to replicate the sounds of various Fender amps (bassman, tweed, etc) but I dunno if the hotrod's among them. you could try googling that though, and see what it throws up. Unfortunately, I've not tried any of them, so I can't comment on their quality.

hth

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Here's what I come up with dong a google on Coldplay gear. Not sure which pedal's doing it though.

Amps:

3 x Fender 'Hotrod' DeVille Combos
Guitars:

Vintage Fender Jazzmaster
Reissue Fender Jaguar
Vintage Fender Thinline Telecasters (x2)
Jerry Donahue Lake Placid Blue Japanese Fender Telecaster (x2)
Vintage Gibson 335
Rickenbacker 12 String
Martin Acoustic
Pedals:

Boss TU2
Vintage Rat
Boss TR2
Boss RV3
Boss DD5
Cry Baby Deluxe Wah
MXR Micro Amp
Line 6 Delay
Pedalboard designed by Mike Hill
Outboard:

TC2290 Delay
Lexicon MPX G2
Korg DTR1
Boss TU12H

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

They are probably using the clean channel of those DeVilles. It is true, the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and DeVille amps have a great clean channel. But the Drive channel has never been popular.

I have heard Coldplay, it is probably the Proco "Rat" pedal you really want. They are great pedals and have been popular since the 70's. The 70's and early 80's models are considered the best and highly sought after. But the modern versions are very good. I would go down to a local music store and see if they carry the Rat. Try it through the clean channel of an amp similar to yours. This is probably the tone you are after, they do have a fantastic distortion.

Here are some samples of the modern Rat on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNgzgWRGaxI&feature=related

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote