Boss GT-10 Coming Soon!

37 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
12.9 K Views
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I am not sure if I will get one, though.

Well, now I'm sure. All mine. I messed with mine some more and got frustrated with something and said the heck with it. I'll be able to sell my GT-6 to recoup some of the expense. I just got home with it, so time to play....

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@shoutingsoup)

Does anybody have any saved patches for the GT-10? I've bought one and the stock patches suck...

Cheers

btw, this is my first post, I'm a new member. Hello everyone!

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Check the

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/forum/

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/dm/ the username is guest and the password is guest.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Does anybody have any saved patches for the GT-10? I've bought one and the stock patches suck...

Cheers

btw, this is my first post, I'm a new member. Hello everyone!

Just curious. You say they suck. How so?

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@tunefisher)

I got the GT-10 two weeks ago.

I can only compare it to the GT-3 which at least 7 or 8 years old.

Main points:
Distortions are much improved
Looping function is fin
Creating "new" sounds is easy - assigning control pedals is unnecessarily complex.
Same problem with all of these that drives me nuts - volume levels are all over the map - switch from a swishy effected jazz tone to a death metal tone and blow your speaker. Why do they do that?
Acoustic simulator is inferior to the GT3 - not sure why this is, but is definitely is. The reason I bought the Boss unit many years ago is because it was one of the few that had Acoustic Simulator.
The Roland rep told me the GT 3 has some analog circuits in it - not so with the any GT afterwards where they went totally digital. Tom Scholtz says he can hear the difference - I can't. Although, I have ever heard a modelling amp that sounded "real" to me. As for most effects, I'll take great digital over analog. Especially with distortions which often sound "sizzly".

The LCD display is a huge improvement over the smallish dim GT3s. i did an outdoor gig and could see me readings great.

Overall, the number of knobs is not daunting. I love the master controls up front. If you go from an AC 30 to a Twin, which have different tones, you can easily accomodate the changes on the 4 master setting knobs. This feature alone I would have upgraded the GT 3 for. Overall, it is the best out there for great effects, distortions, controls etc..., but still has room for some tweaking.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A USERS FORUM FOR THESE THINGS?

Thanks
Tom

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

IMHO the accoustic sim is much better in the GT8, which is the same as the GT10, compared with the GT3. try using the pup modeler and tone effects to shape the sound before sending it to the acc simulator. As for the volume levels, use the patch-volume setting to set the patched you need for live usage at the same level.

Check this soundbite from a Dutch guitarist, USA strat straiight into the GT8, straight into the pc.
http://www.gitaar.net/forum/index.php/file/10/10018/pantinrood.mp3

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Welcome to GN.
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A USERS FORUM FOR THESE THINGS?

Check the

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/forum/

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@mannydingo)

Hi, guys. Just came across the site in a google search. On my GT-6, which I haven't used in years, when I would put distortion and then set to play harmonies(Tom Scholz style), I would get a dropout when footswitching from, say, octaver to harmony. I don't know if it's lack of memory or what. This would be on the song Peace Of Mind by Boston at the very end of the song where it's "almost" only doing an octave and switches over to harmony. On the album it was two guitars, I know.

Did the GT-8 solve this? If not, did the GT-10 solve this? Can one of you owners try it out. I remember tweaking the distortion by adding hear and taking out there. I don't even think their Boston/Rockman patch was the one I started working with because another one, with tweaks, was a better start. I can't recall, really, 'cause it was quite a few years ago.

Here's a YouTube clip and the change I'm talking about is at the 4min. and 36 sec. mark. Yes, there is a slight harmony before that but that would be even a more dropout-filled mess so I keep it octaver-only before the hour/minute I just showed. Here's the YouTube link to the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cTYhY3NUWE

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

So you mean you play a part with an octaver and instantly change that octacer to a harmonizer while keeping the rest of the sound the same? If so I'll record it later today and let you be the judge. Right now I just can't tell you, will have to see for myself too.

Welcome to GN by the way!

ReplyQuote
(@mannydingo)

So you mean you play a part with an octaver and instantly change that octacer to a harmonizer while keeping the rest of the sound the same? If so I'll record it later today and let you be the judge. Right now I just can't tell you, will have to see for myself too.

Welcome to GN by the way!

Thanks, I'm going to start picking up and playing my guitar a bit, again. You are correct. I would actually start the harmony before the 4:36 mark. However, I want you to try strictly octaver up to the 4:35 mark and start the note on 4:36 as a two part harmony form there on as you hear on the song. I want NO dropout whatsoever. You cannot just play that live and have the awful, noticeable dropout I get on my GT-6. Once again, I think there was a combination of more than one distortion(maybe not, I can't recall if that's even possible on the unit) and the use of one effect here and another one there. I think it was just too many things going on for the unit to cleanly switch from one to the other. The unit just doesn't seem powerful enough to do it. Unfortunately, removing effects, distortion, or whatever, meant you lost the great sound I had just created. It was a great sound for single notes as well as for the chords, particulary for that song. I wish I had saved the patch but I didn't.

After my initial post, I read somewhere else that the GT-10 had no dropouts. That may be true, but, is that true after you combine a few effects, etc. If the GT-8 can handle it, that would be good enough, though a USB is so darned appealing. I'm not talking about sound-wise, ofcourse.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, didnt get around to it yet, will see tomorrow. The GT8 has natural endingds of reverb/delay effects but as I never use the harmonizer I dont know how that one goes.

ReplyQuote
(@mannydingo)

Sorry, didnt get around to it yet, will see tomorrow. The GT8 has natural endingds of reverb/delay effects but as I never use the harmonizer I dont know how that one goes.

Yeah, I have this funny feeling the harmonizer, itself, is what's making the switch so difficult for the unit. I would not be a bit surprised if both the GT-8 and GT-10 both failed at this. I think every unit from all manufacturers would fail.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Okay, I just tried. I just threw on all basic things: amp sim, cab sim, solo boost, OD pedal, chorus, delay, reverb, flanger and the harmonist. I didn't record it (and it sounds like crap, I didnt tweak anything just random settings to keep the processor occupied) but when I play a long sustained note I can keep turning the harmonizer on and off repeatedly and the note keeps ringing on, there is no dropout whatsoever. In this tonal mess I can't hear if the reverbtails of the wet harmonized signal are cut off or not but the sound itself just keeps on going without any interruption. Hope this helps a bit, I'm off to bed. Will record a quick sample tomorrow afternoon.

Oh, welcome to GN by the way, seems like these are your first posts. :D

ReplyQuote
(@mannydingo)

Okay, I just tried. I just threw on all basic things: amp sim, cab sim, solo boost, OD pedal, chorus, delay, reverb, flanger and the harmonist. I didn't record it (and it sounds like crap, I didnt tweak anything just random settings to keep the processor occupied) but when I play a long sustained note I can keep turning the harmonizer on and off repeatedly and the note keeps ringing on, there is no dropout whatsoever. In this tonal mess I can't hear if the reverbtails of the wet harmonized signal are cut off or not but the sound itself just keeps on going without any interruption. Hope this helps a bit, I'm off to bed. Will record a quick sample tomorrow afternoon.

Oh, welcome to GN by the way, seems like these are your first posts. :D

Thanks a LOT for attempting it. However, you didn't try it like I said. Go from octaver to harmonizer with all those effects on so it does like the song does. Thanks for the welcome. My first post mentions that I'm new here. Let's see what you come up with tomorrow, if you want to try again. Now what unit is it you're trying this on? I don't know if you have more than one of the GT's at your disposal.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3