Notifications
Clear all

delay

20 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I have both, and recommend both, but for different purposes ….

I find the DL4 a much cooler delay pedal -- four presets, more tweakability, and good short looper too! BUT … I no longer use it for critical live playing for two reasons: it's big and heavy, and occasionally, it goes out of its mind and needs to be reset. the latter seems to be a known problem. cycling the power will not fully reset it. it actually needs to be reset with a "two-finger salute" (hold down some buttons whilst powering-up). not too difficult, except all presets are lost, and in the midst of a gig that just plain sucks. happened once … never again.

all of this caused me to buy a smaller, less expensive Echo Park for my live setup. in addition to being more space & weight friendly, EP has more advanced tap tempo settings and except not having a looper handles most of the DL4 functions I need.

my conclusion: Echo Park for 99% of live. DL4 for 100% recording and that 1% of live where I might use a short looper.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I picked Echo Park for ease of use, lower price, and because I had heard of the DL4's quality issues that gnease mentions. Seems minor but I just didn't want to deal with it.

I also looked at the Boss DD-20, which is a nice unit too. Close to the DL4 in capabilities, slightly less expensive iirc.

For my basic needs, the Echo Park fits the bill.

One point that should be mentioned: if you put more than one Line6 "Tone Core" pedal on the same power line (e.g., pedal board, 1-Spot), you might have noise problems. The Echo Park is part of the Tone Core series. Line6 confirms there is a problem and recommends these pedals be powered separately with their own adapter, or with batteries (which they eat quickly.) But then, as gnease said, "Line6 does delay well … if nothing else" so you probably don't want any other Tone Core pedals on your board ... :lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

didn't know about the supply noise issues, Slej. I own only one Tone Core. guess I'll avoid any more. I wonder if this issue is one of the reasons Line6 ran so many sales on the TC product line.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I picked Echo Park for ease of use, lower price, and because I had heard of the DL4's quality issues that gnease mentions. Seems minor but I just didn't want to deal with it.

the design and assembly quality of the DL4 hardware is superb. the real quality problem is in the software/firmware. unfortunately, I've never found a SW/FW update available from Line6 to fix the issues. if it were, it would probably require EPROM replacement or similar as for the earlier PODs -- invasive. if anyone hears of one, please let me know.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2