Clear all

Distortion Pedal?

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, I got the yearly question from my wife. What do you want for axe-mas this year? Due to an illness, money is a bit slim, so I'm thinking a pedal. I've perused the From Here to There forum and found a few interesting discussions, but not quite what I'm looking for.

I'm currently running a Fender Blues Deluxe with a Boss CS-3 compressor, BBE Green Screamer overdrive and an EQ. I want to add a distortion pedal, I think. Something for the "heavier" stuff, like Nirvana, Linkin Park or anything along those lines. I guess it's whatever power-chord stuff my kid wants me to learn.

Any suggestions?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

You might want to check out the Boss DS-1. It's pretty inexpensive, and a pretty nice distortion pedal. MF has sound clips too.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I would say try them out first if you can; I have an Arion Metal Master & also a DOD Hard Rock Distortion, & both tend to "muddy" the sound. I just can't seem to find a setting anywhere on either one that I like...

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Anyone else have any ideas on this? I am looking for a good dist. pedal as well, I was considering the DOD YJM308 Yngwie J Malmsteen Signature Overdrive Pedal.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DOD-YJM308-Yngwie-J-Malmsteen-Signature-Overdrive-Pedal?sku=150039

Anyone here ever use one?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I liked the sound clips on MF for the DS-1. I think I'll run with that one. Thanks Dan.

No sound bytes on the other one you mentioned katmetal. Looks interesting though.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

Well, for heavier stuff where my my particular favorite for blues/classic rock with a tube amp, the Rocktron Austin Gold, just isn't enough, and price is a consideration, as well as where a fairly wide range of distortion/sustain is needed, a ProCo Rat is a solid choice. I used to work at ProCo building Rats back in the late '80s, and they're built quite well. Plus, they're made right in the USA in Kalamazoo, MI. They're also quite mod-able, if you're into that.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rat2/

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

I liked the sound clips on MF for the DS-1. I think I'll run with that one. Thanks Dan.

No sound bytes on the other one you mentioned katmetal. Looks interesting though.
You might want to try DS-2 as well. Kurt Kobain used these in case you're looking for a Nirvana sound. John Frusciante uses these as well.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Check out the Electro Harmonix Big Muff. This was Billy Corgan's (Smashing Pumpkins) favorite distortion pedal. Here is what it sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdgj0cSgPLo

Here is another great example of this pedal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1N_qX_r4Iw

The Big Muff is really more of a fuzz pedal than distortion, but very heavy. :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hmmmm. More interesting suggestions. Gotta find a rat sample. I do have two hook ups on my pedal power supply..... :twisted:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

Don't Jack White and David Gilmour also use the Big Muff? I'm saving up for that one.

Incidental to the sound, Electro-Harmonix pedals also just look so cool! I love their colors and designs.

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Don't Jack White and David Gilmour also use the Big Muff? I'm saving up for that one.

Incidental to the sound, Electro-Harmonix pedals also just look so cool! I love their colors and designs.

Jeff
Gilmour used the Big Muff most notably on the Comfortably Numb guitar solo. But he used it on many other songs as well, especially on Animals and The Wall.

And yes The Big Muff pretty much creates Jack White's sound IMO.

And rparker...I think a Big Muff is good for what you're looking for. I tried that pedal out and a Dunlop JH2S pedal out at my local music store and I do prefer the JH2S but ONLY because it gives me more that of that 60s Hendrix fuzz over a late 70s..80s sounding fuzz/distortion. I think the Muff is more along the lines of what you're looking for though. But if you do want to try out the JH2s it'll prob be tough to do to since very few music stores will carry it since they don't manufacture it anymore.

Good luck on your search. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I personally asociate the sound of Gilmour much more with Proco then EH...

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

I personally asociate the sound of Gilmour much more with Proco then EH...

You, Sir, are quite correct! Here's a Wiki article about the ProCo Rat mentioning its' use by the esteemed Mr. Gilmour:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Co_RAT

You'll also note quite the laundry-list of notable guitarists, including James Hetfield of Metallica fame. The Rat has been a standard distortion sound since the '80s. I was lucky enough to have worked at ProCo right when they were first starting to switch production over to the new Rat with the silk-screened overlay from the plain silk-screened metal U-enclosure. I would highly recommend trying one out before deciding on a distortion pedal. They are capable of everything from clean boost to quite massive crunch and sustain levels.

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote