Clear all

HELPPPP

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@consumed)
Topic starter  

hey guys!!!!

Im a noob to this fourm but not to music.(maybe a noob to the technology used in what im asking)

Im just an engineering student looking for expert help

CALLING ALL GUITAR GEEKS AND ENGINEERS!!!!!

Im a student a DeVry University and im currently trying to get a degree in Computer Engineering and its time for my senior project. Now Guitar and music has always been a part of my life and i wanted to do something in that area. What i was thinking is to make my own guitar effects processor. I know it sounds crazy but i wanna give it a try. Its going to look like or even seem like a line 6 Podxt or like a boss GT-X series....only i dont want presets.....i just want indiviual effects (such as an overdrive, delay and some other effect) controlled via foot switch for each effect....and the brains of the operation is some sort of microprocessor or microcontroller

Attached i have a notepad drawing (using ascii characters) of what im talking about.

Now i need some direction. Is this possible? Is it worth trying? does anyone else have any iedas? Or can anyone point me to a good website for information

Please You guys help out a fellow guitar geek who needs some direction

Thanks you guys!!!!

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I don't get that, what's the point of a digital multi-effect without pre-sets? About it being worth it: financially not. You can have pretty decent, well constructed and tested 19" multi effects for $100. If you like doing it it would be worth it, otherwise not.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

at the very least it should have a way to store a desired effect or combination of effects at varied settings.
the whole point imo of multi-effect boxes is cost, and the ability to combine/adjust things in a small space.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I *think* I sorta get it: like a pedalboard without the actual pedals :)

Since you're already tihnking about time delay type effects, maybe you could mod or morph your delay portion into a nice chorus or phase effect; get two or three things from the same delay model.

It may not be viable as-is, but...people are always looking for great distortion/overdrive effects--just by themselves--so maybe that portion, if done really well, could be put out on a botique type basis.

And speaking of basis - or bases - or basses: don't forget us bass guys either!

Generally, the effects market is swamped, but there's always room for something unique, you know?

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

Guys, he's not looking to sell the thing - this is, for all extents and purposes, a science project.

Consumed, you might want to check this out ( http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/effects-explained.html ); this will show you how certain effects work from a sound engineering perspective. It should also give you a few basic ideas about wiring.

As DemoEtc said, you can combine delay, chorus, and phasing in a single pedal, since they operate using the same principle (phase distortion).

Now, I know stuff about computers and programming, but probably not nearly as much as you...but it seems as though doing this through analog would be easier than digital. You'd have to have machine code running with variables that represent your pot positions (like delay time and whatnot), and these variables would have to be user-controlled somehow...or else you'd end up with presets, which you want to avoid.

Then again, it's just an academic project, so you could probably get away with toggles for the individual effects, running through a processor. I don't know how detailed you want this to be.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

My advice - simplify your project and do it well. Complicated projects take forever, and then you have to explain why certain parts "don't quite work right yet..."

ReplyQuote