Notifications
Clear all

I want an Overdrive pedal

32 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

I'll say it again. As far as an overdrive pedal goes that has enough crunch to go from a clean-boost to a classic-rock level, there's no better pedal at anywhere near the price than the Rocktron Austin Gold. Based on my experience with the Austin Gold, I'd take a serious look and listen to the other Rocktron OD/distortion pedals if you really need a mega-gain ultra-thrash type pedal.

I've been playing for 35 years, 30 of those years in gigging bands, which have run the gamut of everything from '50s doo-wop, Elvis impersonators, country, rockabilly, classic, southern, & hard rock and blues bands. I'm also an electronics tech|amp tech|builder, and I've owned or tried out on gigs a mind-boggling array of OD/distortion pedals. That Austin Gold is a real sleeper in my opinion. If your amp already has an overdrive channel, I'd be willing to bet that using the AG in combination with the amps' OD channel will give you enough crunch for the majority of your needs short of extreme death/thrash-metal.

The AG doesn't seem to color your guitars' sound to the extent that most pedals do. The notes in chords ring through with great clarity and definition, even at extreme settings.

I'm not associated with Rocktron in any way, I don't sell any musical equipment as a business, except my amps that I build. I'm just a very happy Rocktron customer, and I'll equally sing the praises of products and companies that deliver good value for my dollars as I will trumpet my feelings about companies and products that fall far short of reasonable expectations. (I'm looking at YOU here Marshall/Korg USA and the MG-series amps.)

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Stratman, thanks for your passionate opinion! I've read some of your posts about amp building and any one as knowledgeable on the subject as you will certainly get my attention when you offer input. I've never used any Rocktron gear, but I've heard and read great things about some of their pedals, the Short Timer delay and Hush units in particular. And their prices seem reasonable.

Dan

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3