live performance with Boss RC-2 Loopstation

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@stikman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

I have a song I want to perform using the RC-2 but there is something I can't figure out how to do or if the RC-2 will even do what I'd like it to do.

I have a tune that I want to have a harmonized guitar part play in the latter part of the chorus' meaning I'd have to trigger it. The RC-2 has a one shot feature which plays the loop once when triggered but I cannot get this cuts off any other loops that I may have going on.

So really the tune consists of a percusive loop playing continuosly while I fingerpick and sing and trigger the harmonized part at the end of the chorus' very much like Joseph Arthur does here with Honey and the Moon here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Letfvx_VBvo

Thanks.

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

A looper (at least any of the pedal loopers) is only going to play one track at a time. If you want to have a different track played at different times in the song then you are going to need multiple tracks that each is a full set of what you want in the background and a way to switch between them. For your song you will need one track with the percussive rhythm and another track with the percussive rhythm and the harmony. You should be able to record the percussive rhythm once and just copy it to another track. Then on the other track record the harmony over top of the rhythm.

Now that you have the two tracks you'll need some way to switch between them. How you would do that on the RC-2 I don't know. How I would do that on a DigiTech Jamman I do know since that's the looper that I own.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@stikman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info. The rc-2 does not allow you to copy tracks. It does have 11 tracks to record on and they can be played simultaneously and you can also overdub on tracks. The tracks loop continuously though. It has whats called a one shot feature that allows you to record a loop and then only have it play when you trigger it but I cannot figure out how to do this while the other loops a repeating. Switching to one shot cuts everything off. A buddy of mine says that I can do what I want with this pedal and I have seen him do it before that is why I am confused about it. So I'll get up with him and let him show me. I am suprised it is not in the manual or anything.

Thanks again.

"All battles are first won or lost in the mind." - Joan of Arc

"It took me about 20 years to figure out how to write without inspiration. Thankfully, I got there." - Leon Russell

ReplyQuote