Loop Pedals/Stations

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

After watching a video from another thread on the forum I've decided I NEED a loop pedal. So I did some checking over at MF and found a Boss RC-2 loop peadl and a Boss RC-20XL loop station.

Anyone have either of these or use a loop peadl regularly? I'm leaning toward the loop pedal it's cheaper $179 US vs $249 for he station cuz I think the pedal is fine for what I want to do.

I'll finally be able to loop some sections of songs that I am working on, so I can practice my note for note solos..Ha

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Have you considered using software loopers? I believe there are some free ones out there, might be worth a go to see how you like using one.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The problem with those I think will be input/outputs. I don't really have a great soundcard and I have an adater to plug the guitar into then I'd want the output from the computer to my amp, not exactly sure what I'd need there.

That's part of the reason I don't particiapte in the jams it's kind of a pain to set everything up to record. I don't own a personal computer I bring my laptop from work home everyday. If I had a home computer that I could set up and keep it like that it would be a better option.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, I myself don't use an amp anymore. I just plug into the pc and that's it, sound comes from the monitors/speakers. A proper soundcard+program would cost less then a looper and will give you a whole lot more. AmpliTube2 for example has a build-in looper with tempo control, plus it gives all the tones you need. Recording is dead-easy and records exactly what you hear, no problem with mics and stuff. If the laptop is any decent it would work very well with it, all you'd have to do is plug into the computer, grab a set of headphones/speakers and rock out.

Maybe not a viable option now but keep it in mind.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Actually you are making a good case for this. The computer I use is fairly new IBM Thinkpad T43. I have recorded with Audacity before so I know it will work.

Is AmpliTube 2 freeware?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Not quite, but there are freeware alternatives, both for the modeling and the looper.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I have the digitech jamman and I love it.

I load up backing tracks on the memory card and go to town. It's great for practice, as well as an excellent looper.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

King,

I'll check it out what do they go for new?

Well I see they are $299 new which is alittle more than I had hoped to spend but looking at reviews of the Boss loop pedal and station one of the deficiancies was that neither accepted a flash type memory card so you are limited on how much you can store.

Reading the reviews at MF peole are raving about it except this:

At first I was putting my guitar chord right into the JamMan. Then I learned that it didn't pick up any effects. Dhuu. Then it hit me out of no where. Plug my guitar into my workstation first, then run the workstation into the JamMan guitar input. Now I am to get any sound I want.

Do I need something else than the Jamman and an amp? My set up would be guitar>pedal(s)>JamMan>Amp.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Nope.

Guitar -> chord -> jamman -> chord -> amp and you're good to go.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote