Skip to content
suggestions for a g...

Notifications
Clear all

suggestions for a good effect processor?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@zigsgsx97)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,
I'm new to this site. I'm playing a few gigs in the not too distant future and I am looking to upgrade my effects. I presently use a Marshall avt150h head unit with the marshall cab, and i also use some boss pedals as well. What I'm looking to do is sell my marshall head unit and get a new effects processor. This is where I need some input. I don't know where to try out some of these processors and I don't want to just order one randomly to see if maybe it sounds ok. I go to bars and see bands play and the amps that these guys play have these processors that not only look cool because of the lighting, but they sound amazing! Does anyone have any suggestions for some type of processor? I was looking at the Rocktron Prophesy and that seemed pretty good. I just want something for all-around playing: distortion, clean, chrous, delay, EVERYTHING! I am also willing to spend up to 1,000.

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey Zigs.

I own a Boss GT8.... LOVE IT! :)
round $450.00 Sturdy Steal construction and is the best I've played so far.

Read it here:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Boss/GT-8+Guitar+Effects+Processor/10/1

However there's a new Zoom Product on the Market.
The Zoom G9.2tt

Read it here:
http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM06/Content/ZOOM/PR/G9.2tt-.html

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@zigsgsx97)
Topic starter  

Hey Dag,
Thanks for the suggestion. I think my local guitar store carries this product, so I'm gonna go in and check it out. Thanks man, and I'll keep you posted

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ehm, with that kinda budget, why not just get a proper amp AND a multi-effect? Depending on what sound you need a decent amp like a HotRod would sound very well with a GT8. The more expensive multi-effects don't really do the distortion thing anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@zigsgsx97)
Topic starter  

I've been researching the GT-8 and I think I'm going to get it. It has a lot of cool features and it's not that pricey. I'm just so sick of my effects right now.

ReplyQuote
 ss43
(@ss43)
Trusted Member

I owned a GT8. Damn good multi-X. FWIW, my dilema was that I am a tone snob and will only play tube amps. To me, the GT-8 affected the dynamics and attack of my playing in an unnatural way in that it was not very complimentary to my tube amps. It sucked alot of the natural tone for one thing. I ran different cord configurations through my effects loops and even straight into the guitar input. I recall that when runing it straight in it was best to sometimes not include pre-amp modeling because of it fighting with my my preamp.

With all that said the amp modeling the GT-8 had was very good IMO and the modulation effects were amazing, except the wahs sucked. You could also adjust alot of parameters which was good. The presets were really cool and if I recall correctly you could save them to a different patch and adjust accordingly and also create your own from scratch which I did. You can down load presets too. It is also something to consider just carrying your axe, some cords, and your GT8 and plugging into a PA as opposed to screwing your back up hauling a heavy amp. Plus with the GT8 you get a bunch of amps.

If you are one who weilds the digital world at your command and enjoy experimenting with a lot of different sounds then the GT8 is an excellent platform so go for it. If you are an old fart like me and get your panties in a wad when you have to flip more than two switches to play your guitar and the FX gremlins rob your tone then take my advice and run brother RUN!!!

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Regarding this whole tube amp / processor discussion, Kewlpack has a great article http://www.thestompbox.net/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=10 on the Stomp Box site and forum. His conclusions - and my own experience bears this out exactly - is that to give a good modelling processor (and the GT-8 is one of the best) a fair chance, try it through a FRFR setup - a good keyboard amp (or better two, for a stereo pair!) or a PA. Ensure cabinet/mic modelling is enabled, and try the various modelled amps. You'll be amazed! Plugging a modelling processor into a guitar amp is not the best thing - as Kewlpack says, "After all, you wouldn't run a full guitar amp/cabinet/FX rig into another guitar amp/cab setup... would you? I don't know many players who get great tone by running one guitar preamp straight into another." Think about it!

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi PVTele
This was a very interesting article and I have been thinking in these lines
on how to use a V-Amp on stage or with amplification.

Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I have a Korg AX10G and a few of the Zoom multi-FX boxes.

Check out some other opinions here in the "I'm looking for a new" forum.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey PVTele,

Yes I've found Kewlpacks articles quite a while back and they've been a great help. As well as the forums on BossGTCentral. Some of you reading may not realize, but the GT8 is NOT a plug and play kind of Unit. Sure you can plug in and run through the Stock Patches, but they don't show the "8's true colors. Its a unit that you need to, want to, must tinker with.....ahhh the quest for that holy tone that we can call our own... (sigh) :D.

Matter of fact I got myself a pair of Behringer B3021A Monitors for Christmas with the sole intention of hooking them up to my GT8. I wanted to experience a true FRFR environment beyond my computer's 5.1 system.

So far I'm very very pleased with them and I still enjoy the GT8 immensely.

I am however encountering, for the first time, the dreaded 'hiss' that seems to be a very common issue with the GT8 (and other MFx units). The folks over at Kewl's and GTCentral, folks much smarter than I on such subjects have suggested a few things to minimize that hiss but quite frankly I haven't had much time to 'Dial' it in again. (my new job has me quite busy these days.. :)

I'm almost positive the Hiss is due do what they call "Digital Distortion" and the suggestions to alleviate it are a combo of 'metering' (leveling the input/output signals in the chain) and dialing back on the distortion as some of the 'stock' patches are a bit too hot at Higher volumes. Also tweaking the 'universal' EQ and NS systems in the GT8 seem to bring down the dreaded HISS quite a bit. However the "Digital Distortion" issue is still being debated as to IT being the real culprit.

Anyhoo, these Behringers are awesome! There's a ton of Headroom and they're POWERFUL!!! Last weekend I tried to get them to distort (ie cranked them as loud as they'd go) and I couldn't. Not even a little bit. I also plugged them in and listened to a few CD's through them and WOW!! I want a pair for my stereo system.

My point I guess is this... (if your using MFx or want to really explore it) an MFx into an FRFR rig is the ONLY way to go. Its the 'cheaper' alternative to having a pair of super clean tube amps, why a pair?

Cuz, (in my best HOMER SIMPSON VOICE)..... "MUST HAVE STEREO."

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote