34 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
18.8 K Views
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum for this!

This could become a long thread because of the subject and what I've read about on this site. I thought I'd share some of my memories of being lucky enough to have grown up living through that magical period late 1962 to 1970, those Beatle years. So here goes.

First memory was me aged 10 and my brothers Rod and Pete pleading with mum and dad to stay up late one Sunday night in 1963 to see the Beatles perform by Royal Command on TV at The Royal Variety Show. Actually being allowed to, and on a night before school and the fact that Mum and Dad actually enjoyed it too.

Hearing live for the first time John Lennon's bashful but cheeky immortal line before their last number (Twist and Shout) that night:

"Those in the cheap seats clap your hands, those in the more expensive seats just rattle your jewellry"

It brought on rapturous applause from the whole theatre and quite a line in those relatively stayed times, especially in front of the Queen Mum. But it showed how poular they had become in under a year with us ordinary people and the establishment.

It was probably one of the last of the live performances they did before the mania started and you couldn't hear them play for the noise. And for that matter its well documented since that they couldn't hear each other play, yet they still produced incredibly good live music. Just listen to any recording of their live sets, you will know what I mean

I'll post another memory tomorrow hopefully.

If you like this thread I'll keep posting otherwise tell me and I'll stop.

Cheers for now,

Chris.

ps added Sunday 13th August 2006

Heres a link to what we actually saw that night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhY-dq4A8p8&search=Beatles%20Royal%20Variety%20Performance

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@tonedeaf)
Trusted Member

i'll play...

my first, and certainly impressionable, memory was listening to 'here comes the sun' on my grandparents stereo...

in my family, as i am sure in many other, sundays were often reserved for family trips to visit the grandparents... my dad, once back in the house that he grew up in, would occasionally put on his copy of abbey road (and, i suspect he preferred side 2) and we would sit and listen... and i can remember, even as a little guy (i was 3 when the album was released), that i was listening to something that i needed to and could appreciate

good stuff

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Well, some of us remember watching the Ed Sullivan show in 64 and listening to our parents complain that you couldn't understand the lyrics when their songs were on the radio (AM, of course). And then the Flintstones parodies. Ah, I have memories, a long and winding road they are, of the Beatles in my life, something in the way they played and sang, ....

Strawberry Fields Forever!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Well, some of us remember watching the Ed Sullivan show in 64 ... Ah, I have memories, a long and winding road they are, of the Beatles in my life, something in the way they played and sang, ....
Strawberry Fields Forever!

I remember that show, too. My parents wouldn't let us watch at our house. We had to go to the neighbors (along with most of the kids in a two block area!). And, these were the days of crew cuts and other extremely short hairstyles for men/boys. One day shortly after that particular Ed Sullivan, a new boy in town came riding his bicycle down our street and his hair was in a 'Beatle' cut (and he was wearing 'Beatle boots', do you remember those?). We had never seen hair that long on a boy before (except on the Ed Sullivan Show). The girls all wanted to touch it, the boys were jealous but soon had 'Beatle' cuts (and boots) of their very own!

That was the beginning of a very long and winding road! And I wouldn't change a minute of it! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Probably my first and best memory of the Beatles was in 1965 upon going to the local flea pit (cinema) at the age of 10 to see their second full length feature film "Help" and to this day the title track is one of my favourites (told the wife I want it played at my funeral. LOL).
But I was a little bit worried going to see it as big bro' Chris had told me that the girls would scream and shout and that the boys would throw tomato's at the screen and when the show started sure enough the girls did scream, but I do'nt know if you remember the start of it but there was a red thing that hit the screen right at the start of their first song, of-course I immediately thought oh god the first tomato and then the shot pans round to show the lead baddie throwing red flighted darts at them...

Big sigh of relief

http://81.176.74.27:80/y/yvzgovh/8034_svok_fh_89_ylmfh_gizxp/61697/16253683/01-help.prev.mp 3"> http://preview.allofmp3.com/m3u.shtml?file=http://81.176.74.27:80/y/yvzgovh/8034_svok_fh_89_ylmfh_gizxp/61697/16253683/01-help.prev.mp3

It was, I think the first film we were aloud to go to on our own.

I always make a point of watching Help whenever its on the tv

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I remember that particular Ed Sullivan show also. We watched it on wide screen TV at home.

I think it was something like 13 inch black and white TV.

The thing I remember most was that my parents liked them.

I didn't much get into the Beatles until Sgt. Pepper came out but now pretty much like everything they did.

And life has been a "Long and winding road" ever since and would not have it any other way

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Chris had told me that the girls would scream and shout and that the boys would throw tomato's at the screen and when the show started sure enough the girls did scream,

Yes I remeber going to see Help too Rod. I can't remember telling you about the tomato's though.

We went for the early afternoon showing, had to stand in line for ages to get in. I think it cost sixpence (2 1/2p) each upstairs for admission. We couldn't hear a thing because of the girls screaming, but in those days you could sit there all afternoon and evening if you wanted to. I think we stayed until the late afternoon showing hoping to hear it but don't think even that worked out for us.

Thanks for reminding me Rod,

More memories next post

Cheers
Chris.

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Further memories as promised:

Christmas has always been a time that I associate wth the Beatles. maybe because they always appeared as guests on Christmas TV shows between 1963 and 1965. Also things that happened at home at that time stick in the memory.

There was this version of the carol `We Three Kings' that us kids all sang at the time which may evoke a few memories for others:

We three Beatles of Liverpool are,
John in a taxi and Paul in a car,
George on a scooter beeping his hooter,
Following Ringo Starr.

Terrible I Know, but thats how popular they were then!

One year probably 1963 or 1964 my brother Rod asked for and got a Guitar for Christmas. he was about 8 or 9 at the time. It was a plastic one with nylon strings. Dad tried to teach Rod and himself to play.

Dad always said the Beatles were producing what he called`monkey music' and that it would never last. Yet when they were on TV although Dad was out of the front room we all new he was behind the door looking through the crack and tapping his feet'. In fact I once had a tape recording of him picking out a Beatles tune on Rod's guitar.

The music has lasted but Dad sadly passed on a few years back. Before he died he did admit to me however, that the music did last and that the Beatles were good.

Miss you Dad!

Cheers all

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

First Beatle memory....whistling along with the harmonica solo on Love Me Do.....Mum...."who's that?"....me...."The Beatles"...Mum..."They'll never replace the Shadows"....

Favourite Beatle memory....Interviewer, "How did you find America?"..... Ringo, "We turned left at Greenland......."

I got married (the first time!!!) on Ringo's birthday....7th july '79....and my first daughter was born on George's birthday....25th Feb '81....

I remember when John was shot, "Starting Over" was sliding down the charts...It went straight back to No.1, and a procession of Lennon No.1's followed, right into February....the last one was Roxy Music's brilliant cover of Jealous Guy...I was hoping that'd be No.1 when my daughter was born, but the day before it was replaced at the top of the Charts by....

Joe Dolce....Shuddup a your face........

Anyone who bought that record....please stay behind for detention.....

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

We three Beatles of Liverpool are,
John in a taxi and Paul in a car,
George on a scooter beeping his hooter,
Following Ringo Starr.

:lol: ROFLMAO! :lol:

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I remember when John was shot

My second ex-husband's birthday is the day John was shot...... Dec. 8th. :cry:

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Elecktrablue wrote:

ROFLMAO!

I'm sorry Elecktrablue but I have to ask what does it mean?

Confused, I hope its good.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Hi Chris,

I would say it means "rolling on the floor laughing my arse off"

although I may be miss-informed.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

No, you are most definitely NOT misinformed! That's exactly what it means!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Rodders & Elecktrablue,

I'm so out of touch!

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3