Clear all

Beatle Memories

34 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
18.8 K Views
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Remember the first time you heard "Sgt Peppers" ?

Do you remember your reaction ?

I bought it from a mate at work, took it home that night and had a listen and was completely blown away.
I still have the original copy in my wardrobe (must get it on cd)

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@tonedeaf)
Trusted Member

i found 'being for the benefit of mr. kite' hauntingly appealing

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Remember the first time you heard "Strawberry Fields Forever"? I still remember hearing it in the car radio while my Dad was driving and wondering what to make of it. It changed the way we listen to music, I think.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@tonedeaf)
Trusted Member

ah yes, and so much variation on the album

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

A final Beatle memory from me:

Watched Apollo 13 on the google box yesterday afternoon. Jim Lovell's daughter was lamenting the end of the fab four during the film.
This brought memories back to me of the end of the fab four too.

I was doing my paper round, it was my last summer at school, When I collected the papers from the newsagent there it was splashed all over the front pages of the tabloids. The unthinkable! the unimaginable! The Beatles were finished. Gave me a hollow sinking feeling. It took a long time to deliver those papers that day and some of my customers must have found their newspapers already thumbed.

Although it was hard for us all to take at the time I think looking back that they couldn't give us any more. John, Paul, George and Ringo had given us their youth, their talent and to a large extent their personal freedom during those 8 years at the top.

We ended up getting much more from them all in later years as individuals. Firstly from George with so many beautiful songs that he was unable to give us through the Beatles, then John with his incredibly thought provoking personal output. Paul gave us more of his melodic ballads and finally Ringo who gave us more music and above all, laughter and fun.

God bless the two of them up-stairs above us, and good rockin tonight to the other two down here.

I feel honoured to have grown up with the Beatles as the soundtrack to my life.

Happy New Year everyone!

Thats all,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

About time you posted on this one again isnt it Chris ??

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

OK just for you Rod:

Nice little picture by the way!

Here we go then straight out of the top of my head. A couple of memorable lines from John and George:-

When asked by George Martin if there was anything they didn't like after their first recording session George Harrison quipped:

"Well for a start I don't like your tie"

In the Cavern John asked Cilla Black which key she sang in just before they backed her on stage. Cilla confessed she didn't know. John turned to the rest of the band and said:

"Ok lads we are doing this number in the key of Yale"

(Yale are well known door lock manufacturers here in the UK)

There's probably hundreds more memorable lines like these that others will remember but I think the two above just illustrate two of The Beatles individual characters and wit so well.

Will that do for now Rodders?

LOL

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I know this is an old thread now but I was re-reading my first post on the subject. The thought crossed my mind that there might actually be some footage of The Beatles Royal Variety Performance available somewhere.

Well blow me down if good old Youtube didn't have it. Not only a clip but the whole performance plus interview with John and Paul before the performance. So I've edited that first post to add the link at the end.

Now you can all see what we saw as kids on our Black and White TV that Sunday night way back in Nineteen Hundred and Frozen to Death (1963 actually) Well! we had just been through the coldest and longest winter since 1947 . "The dreaded 1962/63 big freeze" But thats another story!

Enjoy it folks!!!
It starts without sound for the first few seconds prior to the interview so there's nothing wrong with your computers.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Brilliant link Chris. Nice find !!!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Great link to the Royal Variety Show! And the Queen DID rattle her jewellery!

Lennon's voice is fab on Twist and Shout - you ever heard any other old rocker put sooooo much passion into a song?

Fab gear groovy mate.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Glad you liked Rodders and Vic,

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah nobody could belt out that song like John.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

The Kansas city Athletics (baseball) and the KC Chiefs (football) clubs used to play at Municipal stadium in downtown Kansas city. i was 6 years old and my grandfather and his brother picked me up on the north side of town to spend the weekend at my grandparents house. His brother (i guess my granduncle?) picked me up in a brand new fire engine red 64 mustang convertable. he didn't want to take the highway because the top was down so we drove straight through town right past the stadium.
You may have guessed that this was the day the Beatles were in town, we were stuck in a traffic jam for around an hour or so.
it was the coolest ride to grandmas house i ever had. :D

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member

Hey Vic,

Remember the time me, you, Marilyn and Dave went to the Cavern?

"We Are The Facilitators Of Our Own Creative Evolution".

ReplyQuote
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member

In June 1966, a few friends and I took a bus trip rom Tulsa, Oklahoma to Houston to see a baseball game at the Astrodome. On the way back the bus stopped in Dallas for everyone to get a bite to eat. While there, I bought the Beatles Yesterday and Today LP which was released that very day. On the album cover were 4 rather ticked-off looking Beatles standing/sitting around a large trunk. Of course, this had replaced the infamous "Butcher" cover.

3 1/2 years later I am a freshman in college and heavily involved in what college students all over the U.S. were doing at that time . . . deciphering album cover and lyric clues regarding the "Paul is Dead" pheonomenom. (Hey, it beat studying!!) During one discussion the subject of the Butcher cover came up and I heard for the first time that rather than being destroyed, some of the original covers were reissued with the "trunk" cover pasted over it. Remembering I had bought the album on the day of its release my buddy and I took a steam iron and peeled back one corner of the album cover. Imagine our excitement when Beatles in smocks, baby dolls and pieces of meat started emerging!! Unfortunatley, in our excitement, we weren't as careful as we should have been in removing the pasted cover and some damage occurred. But it is still a prized possession!! (This may not be my "favorite" Beatle memory, but it is a good one!)

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Hey Rod & Chris,

Knowing you two (as I) are Beatle freaks I have to tell you about a book I bought of http://www.amazon.com

"The Beatles Complete Chord Songbook"

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Complete-Chord-Songbook/dp/0634022296/sr=8-1/qid=1157717867/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-1379451-6270533?ie=UTF8&s=books

This book is amazing. I have had "Beatles Complete" book for years but now it is and will remain in the bookcase for evermore.

All the songs are in their original key, it tells you which songs uses a capo
"And You Bird Can Sing" capo 2nd fret
"For No One" capo 2nd fret
"For You Blue" capo 5th fret etc etc

Which songs are tuned down
"Across The Universe" tuned down one semitone
"Dear Prudence" bottom string tuned down to D
"I'm Only Sleeping" tuned down one semitone etc etc

Try this opening riff from ""I'm Looking Through You"

G* Gmaj9 G C G C G C
-x- -x- -3- -x- -3- -x- -3- -x-
-x- -x- -2- -3- -2- -3- -2- -3-
-0- -0- -0- -2- -0- -2- -0- -2-
-0- -0- -x- -0- -x- -0- -x- -0-
-8- -7- -x- -1- -x- -1- -x- -1-
-7- -5- -x- -0- -x- -0- -x- -0-

|G* | Gmaj9 | G C | G C | G C |
And that opening chord in "A HArd Days Night"
G7sus4
-3-
-5-
-3-
-5-
-3-
-3-

And from "Mr Kite" (rhythm over the solo)

| Dm Dm(maj7) | Dm7 Dm6 | A | A |

| Dm Dm(maj7) | Dm7 Dm6 | B | Em Em7|

| C B | Em Em7 C B | Em | G |

The riffs and passing chords are brilliant it has links from verse to verse in a lot of the songs a lot of them has both intro's and outro's ..

Anyway sorry for hijacking the thread but when I get excited........

Cheers

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3