Clear all

Transfers part II

204 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
64.9 K Views
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Aretha Franklin has had one of the most remarkable careers of any singer, as well as just about the most remarkable vocal talent God's yet handed out :D How many singers can claim a song (Respect) with 2 Grammys and an honorary award from Martin Luther King Jnr.? As if that wasn't enough, she went on to become the first woman to be inducted ('87) into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ...

One of John Hammond's discoveries, Aretha has recorded with some of the finest musicians around, showing a particular penchant for duets, including ones with George Michael, Luther Vandross, and

George Benson

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Ok, I don't have a post in this game, but I wanted to say how astounded the knowledge of music history is around here! Holy cow! I thought I knew a lot about this stuff, but you guys take the cake!

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Holy cow! I thought I knew a lot about this stuff, but you guys take the cake!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A bunch of long-term musical obsessives + the Internet = The Transfers Game.

Sad, isn't it?

You'd think we needed to get out more, but at least half of us spend at least half our time in various dubious dives, either playing this stuff or talking about it, over rather too much beer, with equally dotty individuals :shock:

At least we're not trying to invent "new" pentatonic scales - just trying to wear out the ones we've got!

No hope for us really, is there?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

PVTele - "You'd think we needed to get out more, but at least half of us spend at least half our time in various dubious dives, either playing this stuff or talking about it, over rather too much beer, with equally dotty individuals"

You know me so well - and we've never met! Are you sure you're not me?

:D :D :D

Vic

Er - we were on George Benson......

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK - George Benson's also worked with songwriter and producer Josh Thompson, who's also worked with the Temptations - the Stones have covered a couple of their songs, "Just My Imagination" and "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" - Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood left the Jeff Beck Group, along with their singer Rod Stewart, to join Ian McLagan, Ronnie Lane and Kenny Jones, who'd previously been members of....

The Small Faces

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Vic: Are you sure you're not me?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ROTFL!!!

I think the only noticeable difference, Vic, is that where you're Northern I'm Southern - oh and the fact that it's a dog, indirectly, who made a mess of your left arm, whereas it was a cow, directly, that did for mine :shock:

Mike

er, h'mm,

Small Faces ...

while it was Sonny & Cher who helped boost the Faces into the big time, the first artist to really spot their potential, and Steve Marriott's extraordinary voice, was that still underrated singer (esp. of the blues)

Elkie Brooks

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

ouch - now I know I'm getting old - I saw Elkie Brooks when she was a singer in a blues band (Vinegar Joe) waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the early 70's - the other singer was.....

Robert Palmer

Vic

"oh and the fact that it's a dog, indirectly, who made a mess of your left arm, whereas it was a cow, directly, that did for mine...." could make a good story, do tell more......

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Elkie did "Gasoline Alley" and so did Rod Stewart

I sort of transfered that right back at ya all didn't I. trust me to cock things up.

Talking of Elkie Brooks. Trish & I saw her in concert at Cheltenham town hall a couple of years ago. She's still got it and the looks too (Well Trish has too, come to think of it but thats another story) Anyway Elkie belted out those classics of hers and some great new stuff too.

Fiirst album I bought Trish too "Two Days Away" by Elkie. 1977

I'll go back in my shell now (Coo its dark in here!)

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So, reminiscing aside, does that leave us with Rod Stewart? Instead of Ms Elaine Bookbinder - a Salford lass, but we won't hold it against her that she was born the wrong end of the A580...

if it does....

Xmas 71 - Rod and the Faces on the Xmas day TOTP doing Maggie May - with a certain guest, John Peel on Mandolin - a few years later, Peely changed direction completely, and posted a top 5 greatest songs of all time - the whole top 5 was taken up by -

The Undertones

Vic

PS - on the same Xmas 71 show, Elton John played piano (covered in Bacofoil) to T Rex's "Get It On" - there wasn't even a piano track on the original....

PPS - John Peel was a huge Liverpool fan, I once stood nwxt to him on the Kop at Anfield - he even called his son William Anfield Peel - the man had gooooooood taste.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

The Undertones were recently included in a permanent Wall of Fame tribute to Irish music legends.

The Wall of Fame also features Phil Lynott, Van Morrison, Rory Gallagher, The Boomtown Rats, U2, Luke Kelly, Christy Moore, Paul Brady, Dolores Keane, Sinead O'Connor and Shane MacGowan.

Paul Brady

(PS. I mean who else could I have chosen :wink: )

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Paul Brady famously collaborated with Andy Irvine on his (Brady's) first (I think?) album - but what is possibly less well-known is his work with Richard Thompson and, of all people,

Bonnie Raitt

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Oh the cow story Vic ... I used to manage a dairy unit for a group of farms, and one day when I was sorting out some dry cows one of them panicked and crushed me against a concrete wall in a narrow walkway. Broke both bones in my left arm, dislocated elbow, internal injuries, nerve damage in back, minor heart attack due to crushing. My hand ended up where my elbow should have been, facing the wrong way. Unpleasant. Somehow got through the cows, through or over two gates, and into the house, taking off wellies at the door, made two phone calls, and then passed out. (I have no memory of anything between the accident itself and the ambulance arriving - I was alone at the time, no one for a couple of miles either way ...)

Took a long time to recover enough to play again (had been told I wouldn't) but I couldn't ever go back to farming; my left arm is permanently weak, and there are neurological symptoms still.

Dogs are more reassuring, somehow, even when mixed up with stairs ;-)

Still, as I said, Bonnie Raitt ...

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Bonnie Raitt was born to a musical family. The nine-time Grammy winner is the daughter of celebrated Broadway singer John Raitt (Carousel, Oklahoma!, The Pajama Game) and accomplished pianist/singer Marge Goddard. She was raised in Los Angeles in a climate of respect for the arts, Quaker traditions, and a commitment to social activism. A Stella guitar given to her as a Christmas present launched Bonnie on her creative journey at the age of eight.

Exposure to the album 'Blues at Newport', 1963 at age 14 had kindled her interest in blues and slide guitar, and between classes at Harvard she explored these and other styles in local coffeehouse gigs. Three years after entering college, Bonnie left to commit herself full-time to music, and shortly afterward found herself opening for surviving giants of the blues. From Mississippi
Fred McDowell, Sippie Wallace, Son House, Muddy Waters, and John Lee Hooker she learned first-hand lessons of life as well as invaluable techniques of performance.

Son House

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Eh ... i have been a bit dunce.I didn't get what exactly we have to do in the game :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Rahul,
Here are the rules again:
EDIT.....

The rules are pretty simple - this is sort of like "six degrees of seperation" for musicians - example, musician A played in a band with musician B - B wrote a song with C - C mariied D's Daughter - D recorded (insert title of song) which was covered by E - E comes from (insert town/city) as does F....make the links as long or as short as you like "A was in a band with B" for example - but try and make them interesting....I discovered Keb Mo' & Biffy Clyro through the original thread, and now own CD's by them - c'mon, Don't Let Me Down! - as Lennon would say!!!

End of edit, back to thread....

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 14