Cantus Firmus question

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

We are discussing first species cantus and counterpoint in music theory class, but I am having trouble figuring out if the Cantus Firmus is just a theoretical concept or if it is really used in melodic writing. The book we work from (The Harmonization of the Chorale) gives examples of Bach's counterpoint and "Cantus Firmi" but I would hardly consider them to follow many of the rules I have been taught for good melodic writing such as avoiding parrel octaves and fifths etc. Anyway, it seems impossible to me to write something which obeys all rules of melodic and counterpuntal writing while making it musically stimulating at the same time. I realize this stuff is helping me alot, but I hardly think all of it is very applicable outside the classroom.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's both. The Cantus Firmus is a counterpoint term, so it's strictly theoretical.... unless you're writing counterpoint. If you are, or if you're doing something like a Fugue that will follow the rules of counterpoint, then it's really used.

The CF is the main melody; it's Latin for 'fixed song'. In practice, it's written like any other main melody - you can even think of the vocal line of a popular song as being its Cantus Firmus.

Once you have the CF written, then you apply the rules of counterpoint to develop the CP. In first species, it can sometimes be difficult to tell from the end result which voice is the CF and which is the CP - that's not true of the other species, where the rhythms of the two parts are different.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If the Cantus is Softus, then throw it out as it's gone bad.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? :D

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

While your at it Noteboat can you answer me two questions about fugue. :)

1. What is it
2. how do you pronounce it.

Sorry to temporarily take your thread Kyle but I also have a interest in this stuff at the moment. I have bought a few books over christmas on counterpoint and harmony and to be honest I'm struggling a little bit at the moment (it don't help that i'm very slow at reading notation).

Thanks

Lee

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

2. it's FYOOg

1. It's a musical form for multiple voices. The melody starts in a single voice alone, and then the other voices take up the same theme - sort of like singing a round. Once every voice has had a turn at it (called the 'exposition'), then they start to play with the original melody (the 'imitation')

I'm simplifying it a lot... there are entire books written about the fugue.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

Thanks mate.

Lee

ReplyQuote