Notifications
Clear all

Chord Name

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dm7b5)
Topic starter  

Hi, recently i decided to make some hard copys of some of our bands tunes however when writing down i came across a chord i was unfamilar with the name of.
The chord is (x977xx)
I was just using it as i thought it sounded good and the notes fit into the scale i was using so i figured there was nothing wrong, but i never took the time to find out the name.
The notes are F#, A, D
Now noticed that its the same notes as a D major triad i was thinking that this may be an inversion of some sort? If so how would it be notated? Or is it a simple D/F# or something like that?
Any help would be appreciated.

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

D, F# and A make up a Dmaj chord.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

yep, just an inverted D major chord. I supose it could be called D/F#, since F# is the lowest note. At least, that's how i'd write it.
Don't forget, there are many names for a chord, and many ways to name a chord.

ReplyQuote
(@dm7b5)
Topic starter  

Hmm, so how would you name/notate an interval... say
(x54xxx)
Thats D and F# again, this is just the 3rd how would it be written?

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

Yeh I made a post but it was wrong(need to read better). I would say it would be D3.

ReplyQuote
(@dm7b5)
Topic starter  

Yeh I made a post but it was wrong(need to read better). I would say it would be D3.

That would seem the obvious however for example, a major 6th interval couldn't be written D6 or something as that would imply 1,3,5,6. So does anyone know how you would write just an interval other than 5th e.g 1,6?

ReplyQuote