Clear all

Interesting open G7 "discovery"

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

There are certain chords I play infrequently either because they are not call for in the songs I read in books or I never really practiced nearly as much as others.  One of those is the G7.  Often I did not like moving my hand to play like this:

G7 (g-b-d-f)

1e: --1—(f)--index
2B: --0—(b)--
3G: --0—(g)--
4D: --0—(d)--
5A: --2—(b)--middle  
6E: --3—(g)--ring

only to move back to regular G:

G   (g-b-d)

1e: --3—(g)--pinky
5A: --2—(b)--index  
6E: --3—(g)--middle

Too much movement.  So I studied my notes on the fretboard and have "discovered" how to get around those big switches.  Since I've always played my open G with the pinky on the first string 3rd fret and frequently pop the D note second string third fret on and off for flavor my ring finger is free to do about anything.  I found out I could play a somewhat cheating G7 like this:

G   (g-b-no 5th-f)

4D: --3—(f)--ring
5A: --2—(b)--index  
6E: --3—(g)--middle

Yea, I effectively drop the 5th out of the chords but I won't cry.  We all cheat on the C7 also by dropping the 5th out on that one, too, by placing the pinky on the third string A#.

So I'm just happy that I have a way to quickly stab a finger on the F note to get a G7 and can move back to G simply by poping one finger off.  Does anyone else out there use that fingering?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@davidhodge)

I use that on a lot of fingerstyle pieces. In Paul Simon's The Boxer, for instance, it's a great way to play some interesting things on a G chord, which lasts quite a few beats at one point. You start with the G (320003), then hammer on to the E note on the D string to get a G6 (322003) and then to the G7 you noted (323003). It's a great sequence.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey Dr. D, I'm curious about how to finger that G6.  That needs 4 fingers and I really only have my ring finger available.  I have not tried it but, after visualizing, I'm thinking seeing the dentist would be more fun.   :o  I'm guessing I'd just lift off the first string to get that G6.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Sorry 'bout that! I should have mentioned it. When I'm playing fingerstyle, the B note (second fret of the A string) tends to go unused as I'm more often than not jumping between the G (third fret of the sixth (low E) string) and the open D in a kind of alternate bass thing.

So I'll hammer on to the D string with the index finger and just not play the A string. I should have notated the G6 like this: 3X2003. Hope that's better and sorry for muddying it up the first time!   ;)

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@sjt1316)
Trusted Member

You could just finger a regular G "correctly" ;) :

G7 (g-b-d-f)

1e: --1—(f)--index  

G   (g-b-d)

then its no trouble switching!! (just poking fun...)

--Steve
If you're enjoying it, are you still a struggling artist??
D~~n the man, save the Empire!

ReplyQuote
(@garytalley)
Trusted Member

When you play a G or G7 with an open B string, you don't need the B note on the 5th string 2nd fret.   I like to play a G7 like this:

1e:--3 (g)-pinky
2b:--0
3g:--0
4d:--3(f)-middle
5a:X (mute with 1st finger)
6e:3(g) index

OR  same voicing with  different fingering (ring finger on 4th string and middle on 6th.  OR   first fingering with ring finger on B string to add 5th and remove 3rd of chord.

They all sound better than the ukulele-ish "normal" G7 voicing. I see no reason to EVER play a G chord using your ring finger to play the G note on the 1st string. This puts your pinky totally out of the game, and eliminates the option to use the 3rd finger on the 2nd string 3rd fret.

http://www.guitarforsongwriters.com

creator of #1 video"Guitar Playing for Songwriters"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

what you call this G chord then?  8)

1e: --2—(f#)--middle
2B: --3—(d)--ring
5A: --x—(b)--  
6E: --3—(g)--thumb

Its my fave :D

Sounds good to play it as C too :)

[edited notes]

Chalmodo

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

"Pick me, pick me!"  Well, there is a chord I've played about 5 times in my days and that, Chalmodo, would be a Gmaj7th.  The F# puts lots of tension in the chord because it's only on fret away from a G note.  All major 7ths have that freaky sound.  When you play your C chord with the F# sounds odd because you normally have C-E-G and that F# is a fret or note away from the G.  I won't even attempt a name for that one.

David, you did not muddy it up.  I was just trying to figure out where to get an extra finger.  By moving the index finger I see it's much, much easier than I had anticipated.  When arpeggiating I often skip hitting the 5th strings so it would sound just fine.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

yay, ignoring my panky last post, the winnar goes to corbind! :D

and...

If u wanna know this one...

4D: --x—(d)--  
5A: --3—(c)--thumb    
6E: --x—(x)--

its a  Cadd9#11

:D

yay, and it sounds lovely before an Aminor, cuz... well.. dont all C's? :D

Chalmodo

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Why thank you C!  But being honest, I can not clearly play a D chord with the thumb over holding the low E down so holding that A string is outta the question.  I'd have to use a different fingering for sure.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

well i guess i'm cursed with lanky ass finger... or maybe i'm a lesbians dream date?  ::)

and... as for fingerings... you could try

1e: --2—(f#)--index
5A: --3—(c)--middle    

or if you were looking to "go crazy" and work on your barr technique (leaving your index finger free to do whatever, even pick your nose? hey, it works for me!)... use this

2B: --3—(d)--pinky
5A: --3—(c)--ring  

u can then shift up the fretboard and make all kind of crazy voicings!!

my god i make things complicated...and... technically, its not even a barr, as you only have to hold down one string....

ie.

1e: --4—(Ab)--middle  
2B: --5—(e)--ring  
3G: --2—(a)--  
5A: --5—(d)--thumb    

which i'm too lazy to ceck, but would be the same Dadd9#11

Chalmodo  :D

ReplyQuote