Question

80 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
24.4 K Views
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Wild Guess:

diminished chords have 2 minor thirds... thats why its diminished :), the 2 minor thirds make it a diminished 5th...

Precisely.  A minor 3rd is 3 half-steps, a b5 is 6, while a perfect 5th is 7.
so im guessing a half diminished only has one minor third?

No, it has two, plus one major.  A half-diminished chord is usually known these days as a m7b5.  It has the notes 1-b3-b5-b7.

A full blown dim7 chord has the notes 1-b3-b5-bb7.  That bb7 is equivalent to a maj6 under a different name.

minor 3rd + minor 3rd = diminished chord
major 3rd + minor 3rd = major chord
minor 3rd + major 3rd = minor chord

hmm, ok im lost, ignore me.

No, you're not lost at all.  All of the above are absolutely right.  You're missing one triad chord type:

major 3rd + major 3rd = augmented chord (1-3-#5)

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@spiderpain)

Dudes,
I wasn't trying to slam anyone or anything.  The thread was confusing.  Sorry I couldn't keep everything line line.  Are you guys trying to tell me that I am not welcome here anymore?  Later

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

No problem.  It's cool.  Thanks for the post.
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Spiderpain,

Sometimes it's really difficult to get your intent across in the forums.  I think you can see what I mean by the reaction to your post.

I don't think there was any problem with the main content, but the first line.....confused, know nothing about theory, etc.  Well try reading it as if you didn't write it and see what you think.

I don't think you should go away.  I think you should hang around and answer some questions.

Nick

ReplyQuote
(@spiderpain)

Thanks man, I really like Alex becaue he askes all the questions that I asked a thousand times before and no one could answer!

I really want to print the stuff off of here so I have the info when I finally buy a new guitar!  It's been hard to find a job...been out of a job for 8 months.

It's a tough being deaf...

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 6