Clear all

Root vs. Tonic

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@boxboy)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have a heck of a time understanding the distinction between these 2 terms.
I'm hoping someone can offer a simple example of the tonic differing from the root and why it is so.
Thanks in advance!
:)

Don

(@alangreen)

Root is usually used when referring to a chord

Tonic is usually used when referring to a key

So, the primary chords in the key of C Major are C, F, and G, the "root" of the F chord is "F" and the "tonic" of the key is "C"

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

That's great, Alan, thanks very much.
If anyone has a web resource of simple concise definitions (like this one^) of music terminology, I'd appreciate if they could post it.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Root is usually used when referring to a chord

Tonic is usually used when referring to a key

So, the primary chords in the key of C Major are C, F, and G, the "root" of the F chord is "F" and the "tonic" of the key is "C"
Is that why a harmonica player would play the iv of a key? So the root is the 4th of the key?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

No, the root is the "base" of the chord.

There are lots of different types of harmonicas... but the most common (and least expensive) is a 'diatonic' harp, which plays a major scale. When you're playing blues, you want a blues scale - in the key of C, that would be C-Eb-F-Gb-G-Bb. There aren't any major keys that contain those notes.

But it's pretty easy to 'bend' a note on a harmonica, which will lower it by a half step. If you're playing blues in C, using a C harp would mean you'd have to bend E, G, and B. Trouble is, you can only bend a 'draw' note (one you play by inhaling). On a C harp, the G is a 'blow' note... which you can't bend.

But if you use a harp that's in the key of the IV chord, the notes you need to adjust are draw notes. So most harp players will play that way - it's called second position, or "cross harp".

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote