Clear all

Standard Notation

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

For anyone looking for a way to learn standard notation, I've got a little "cheat", that may help you find your way around.

I think most people, who start with standard notation, see one pattern quite quickly, namely the 4 spaces in the treble clef spell the word "FACE". What you may not have seen, is that, below the clef, the lines spell "FACE" also, as do the lines above the clef.

In the diagram, I've shown the 3 "FACES" and added the open strings, to give you a reference point.

This is also available on :
http://people.freenet.de/greybeard/FACE_Standard.htm

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Probably worth mentioning, while we're here, that the lines are EGBDF, or 'Every Good Boy Does Fine'. Anyone know another way to remember this that isn't quite so twee? :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Epiphone Gibsons Blow Dont Forget. :P

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Every God Boy Deserves Favours/ Football - both of which were implanted in my soul by my old school headmistress when she started teaching my class to play the recorder. She put the fear of God into all of us - we never forgot.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Every Good Boy Does Fine / Face - that's the way Mr Samson our music teacher taught us at school.

RIP Peter Samson - superb teacher, boogie pianist extraordinary :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@veovis)

I always just pronounced EGBDF...sorta like EGG BA DIF...yeah.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

I first learned it as a kid to say "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge." Also a bit twee, but I don't really see that one very often. The only other one I can think of is the other extreme and a little too perverse to post here.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote