The Infamous "/" chords

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The majority of the sheet music I'm working with these days has chords listed but not always the fingering for them.

Granted I've only been at this for a few months but I can't seem to learn or remember the / chords.

I just now found another one in the Easy Songs section.

If I see, for example, a G/C or C/B or C/G is there an easy way to know how to play them? If I just have to learn them, then so be it. I just wondered if there was some simple shortcut to knowing how to play them if you don't have the fingering for assistance.

Thanks, experts. I await my feeding. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

A "slash" chord has the note after the slash in teh base. So if you know your notes on the 6th adn 5th strings, then you can know where you're chord has to be in general terms.

The rest of the chord form will be determined by what voicing you need.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the response.

Sadly, it didn't help.

I'm looking at one right here that goes

(Chord progression.)

E ------- B/E -------- A2 (the 2 should be small and upper right of A) ------- E --------B/E ------- A2

Is the B/E a B chord? Is the A2 an A chord? If so, what is that alteration to the chord? If not, then how do you play those chords? Specifically, I'd like to understand how to read the chords and at least, here, see the fret positions of the needed fingers.

Again, thank you for reading.

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

B/E is a B chord, but it has E as the bass note (it would then be a Badd11 chord, really)

If you have B: x24442

and you add the open E string: 024442

you have one possible voicing of a B/E.

A2 is a different animal. '2' chords aren't really chords - they're major second intervals. In this case, you play the root (A), plus the 2nd note in the major scale of the root note (in this case, B). You don't play any other notes, but you can play those two as many times as you'd like... you might do somthing like:

x07x07 - that's A-A-B-B. There are dozens of other ways to play 'A2'

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thank you, NoteBoat. I hate to say what through me from King's post but it was the spelling of base. :oops:

I haven't even begun to understand voicing yet so that was/is still over the top for me but this well help in understanding what I'm reading.

Thanks, both of you, for stretching my brain cells to another level. :D

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

B/E is a B chord, but it has E as the bass note (it would then be a Badd11 chord, really)

If you have B: x24442

and you add the open E string: 024442

you have one possible voicing of a B/E.

A2 is a different animal. '2' chords aren't really chords - they're major second intervals. In this case, you play the root (A), plus the 2nd note in the major scale of the root note (in this case, B). You don't play any other notes, but you can play those two as many times as you'd like... you might do somthing like:

x07x07 - that's A-A-B-B. There are dozens of other ways to play 'A2'

Just curious - this leads us back to the "sus2" dilemma - I've pretty much always seen A2 voiced with three notes, A-B-E, with this being the most common for A2:

x02200

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There's not a lot of consensus on what an 'A2' chord is, exactly. Since it's not a 'standard' chord, it's not in any chord dictionaries I have here... and searching the web, I find all of these labeled 'A2':

- A major second interval (A-B)
- the E suspended chord (A-B-E)
- A add 9 (A-B-C#-E)

I consider chords with a number (other than 6, 7, 9, 11, or 13) to be power chords, because the whole number thing started with power chords as 'A5'... and then continued to its inversion as 'A4' (same as E5, really).

It's all part of the standard guitarist confusion that a fingering must equal a chord name.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Please note that although playing slash chords like E/B is perfectly possible on a guitar, in 90% or more of the cases wher you see them in guitar tab of pop songs, the bass note (B) is played by the bass player and the rest of the chord (E major) by the guitarist. A plain E major is usually a perfectly acceptable substitute, but may miss the nuance of a moving bassline like:

E
E/G#
E/A
E/B

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

Hmm...I always thought the root note came before the slash, while the chord came after? For instance, F/Cm. Guess I was incorrect...or is it done both ways? I wouldn't think so...

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The chord comes first.

If you see something like F/Cm it might be a polychord - where two full chords are played at the same time. Then what the listener really hears is:

F (F-A-C) + Cm (C-Eb-G) = F9 (F-A-C-Eb-G)

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

Hmm, that makes sense, but why not just write it as an F9?

Is that actually an F9? I didn't think the chourd would sound so...unfulfilled. It needs resolution...perhaps because the A C Eb within is diminished? It wants to resolve to B flat major. Is that actually an F9? Like, I can hear it needing to resolve, but I have no way of arguing that it's not an F9, because I really don't know what it would be otherwise. I just didn't think normal 9ths sounded like that.

Edit: Hey, Noteboat, you seem to know this stuff...F A C Eb G is an F9. F A C E G is also an F9. How would you distinguish between the two in text? Fm9? F9? Sorry, I'm just curious...I want to learn.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Polychords aren't used very often. If they're written in to a composition, it's usually either because it's bitonal (the two instruments are following progressions in different keys), or to make an impossible voicing playable - for instance, a fully voiced 13th chord, which has seven notes in it... you've only got 6 strings on one guitar.

Ninth chords are dominant (as are 7ths, 11ths, and 13ths), so they want to resolve - and you're dead on that the reason is the internal diminished chord. The logical resolution is down a perfect fifth to a Bb major (or a Bb minor).

Chords that have numbers, like F7 or G9, imply a lowered seventh. So F9 = F-A-C-Eb-G. If you want the seventh to be played natural (F-A-C-E-G), you'd write Fmaj9. The only exceptions are those with a number less than nine, like F5 (a power chord), F6, or F6/9 - slashes here mean you play the first chord and add the note(s) after the slash.

Using 'm' in a chord name means you've lowered the third, so Fm9 has 1-b3-5-b7-9... F-Ab-C-Eb-G. If you want the third lowered, but the seventh natural, you write Fm/maj9

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

It's all part of the standard guitarist confusion that a fingering must equal a chord name.

Wow, that sure sums it up.

ReplyQuote