Skip to content
Theory breakdown! R...

Notifications
Clear all

Theory breakdown! Royal Orleans (What key is it in?)

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I'm learning, or have already learned, Royal Orleans by Led Zeppelin. By using this tab - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/led_zeppelin/royal_orleans_tab.htm .

Anyhow, question is what key it's in. I'm thinking A major by the intro, but I could be way off. Because then the verse seems to be in B (playing the F# and E 9ths). But then in the solo the chords are in C# (A9 and F#9). So, it doesn't seem like the key is A at all.

Hmmmmmm... could this be key changes using the circle of fifths/fourths. I don't know enough of theory to decode this mystery myself so I'm asking for your guys' help. What's your take on the "theory" behind this song.

PS- I also realize theory sometimes doesn't answer everything. But this song seems pretty cut and dry. I might have used that expression wrong, but you know what I mean.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

As it uses bluesy dominant seventh chords on the key chord, the effect of key is weakened somewhat but it's in the key of A major.

It starts and finishes in the key A and the verse chords which are based around E9 - (the dominant 9th. or V9 chord in the key of A major) confirm that the key is A. The solo is temporarily out of key based around F# chords but soon returns to A again.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

the intro is weird to me. Is it mixing between minor and major pentatonics? Because those combination of notes really don't work in any one scale? Or are those just mini chords?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

No - it's just a straightforward A7 chord - the D & F# notes are just brief decorations to the chord - you can ignore them. True, the G natural note is foreign to the key of A, which usually has a G#, - but's that's blues. One of its defining trademarks is the use of that flat seventh note on the key chord.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

makes perfect sense! I should know this stuff better.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote