So where's the B#?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was looking at a barre chord chart and noticed that each chord was moved up 2 frets until you got to the C chord, which only moved up 1 fret. I looked the notes up on the fretboard and saw that on the E string they went straight from B to C, so I understand why the c chord did, but why isn't there a B# on the fretboard? Do you never play a B#? I'm much more familiar with the mandolin and without it actually in hand, I don't think this occurs anywhere on it. I think each fret up is half a step, or the last note sharped. What's the reason for the difference here?

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

In modern tuning, B# is the same as C - regardless of the instrument.

There are situations where it's correct to call the note B# rather than C, but they are comparatively rare. It's C most of the time.

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

There are situations where it's correct to call the note B# rather than C, but they are comparatively rare. It's C most of the time.

Hmm, that's weird. I didn't know that. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

You'll notice there's the same absence of an E# between E and F too - check out a piano keyboard, it's why there's no black note in those two places.

B# exists in the key of C# Major (7 sharps) and C# Harmonic and Melodic Minor (4 sharps) scales

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You'll notice there's the same absence of an E# between E and F too - check out a piano keyboard, it's why there's no black note in those two places.

B# exists in the key of C# Major (7 sharps) and C# Harmonic and Melodic Minor (4 sharps) scales

Best,

A :-)

You're right! I have a piano right here in the living room. Why have I never noticed this, LOL? It's very interesting.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

mmdm - Check out this link to a beginner's lesson in music theory, written by our own David Hodge. I think you will really get a lot from it.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/theory-without-tears/

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

mmdm - Check out this link to a beginner's lesson in music theory, written by our own David Hodge. I think you will really get a lot from it.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/theory-without-tears/

Thanks, I'll do that!

ReplyQuote