Clear all

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jamiem)
Topic starter  

Hello Folks,

I am just wondering if anyone is working with the lesson I did on David's arrangement of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"?

I would be curious to know if anyone has found this lesson helpful, and what problems you may have in using what I taught in the lesson, or any problems you may have in playing the arr in general.
'
My job is to make people play better, so if anyone would like some help, let me know!

Best,
Jamie
http://www.guitarprinciples.com

Best regards,
Jamie
www.guitarprinciples.com

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

If memory serves me correctly (I never know these days) one of our resident beginners, Dylan Barrett, is working on that lesson . . . https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44426 . . . and videoing his progress.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@jamiem)
Topic starter  

I don't know if Dylan wants my help, if he does he can post here and let me know.
'
I think he has done a good job, working with the tools he has, and by that I mean the essential quality of the technique he has developed. I believe he has taken it as far as he will be able to using the technique he has, and I think he has realized that which is why he decided to end the posts.

It is very important to realize that unless our technique is built on a solid foundation, there is no possibility of doing certain things to a level of perfection. Technique can be compared to a bridge built to bear a heavy load. If you try to drive a 10 ton truck over a bridge that can only handle 5 tons, you will soon be trying to keep your head above water.

When players put certain demands on their technique that it cannot actually bear, they also get that "struggling to keep my head above water" feeling. So, the answer to the question "how long does it take a beginner to master this piece" depends on the piece, and the beginner. For some pieces, it will be "never", in other words, they are not beginner pieces, the beginner must develop a bit beyond the beginner stage.

Best,
Jamie
www.guitarprinciples.com

Best regards,
Jamie
www.guitarprinciples.com

ReplyQuote
(@barryg)

Hello Jamie,

I've been following your Guitar Principles newsletter for quite awhile and enjoy receiving it. Yesterday you mentioned your YouTube posting of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", which led me here to Guitar Noise, and to my question: the TAB is posted as a GIF file. Hmmm. I wonder why someone chose this format instead of PDF? I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to print it (without missing pieces at the page breaks) or even viewing it, for that matter. At this time I'm trying to edit it using Photoshop, but I doubt that was expected. I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have for this. Later on I'll post something about my progress.

Many thanks and Happy New Year!

Barry

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi Barry

Sent you an email on this last night. Let me know if you got it.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@garyclements52)

Jamie,
Your video lesson was my introduction to your concepts. I initially struggled with the entire arrangement until I decided to purchase the 'Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar', after which, I discovered I was doing just about everything incorrectly. I have been working on the principles, while continuing to play, and I am improving, but slowly. I still notice my shoulder occasionally rising due to tension.
The use of posing and no tempo practice has enabled me to improve my left hand technique to the point where I can actually form all of the required shapes and make it through the entire arrangement at about half speed. My progress since discovering your method has been remarkable, but I am still very much a beginner.
Thanks for sharing your technique, it proved to be what I needed to enable me to progress.
I will keep at it and hopefully someday become a musician.

Gary Clements

ReplyQuote