Wish You Were Here

43 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
48.9 K Views
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Cool. I'm glad you got back to it. It really is fun making noise with these things, huh?

Have a good one,

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@indecentangel)

:D Hell yeah.....Makes my insides feel good! lol
Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hi all just a quick question. Since i've a bit of trouble with the intro playing along with the cd, does anyone would help with the exact chord progression?

Is it em 4 beats, g 4 beats and so on until two meausres of G before the verse or is there an additionalhalf-measure of Em as it seems by reading David's lesson?

Thanks in advance

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@se7en)
Eminent Member

Hi, Everyone, eventually I mastered the SOLO for this song and now I'm on song itself, everything is fine when I'm playing it no problems at all but I can't get One thing out of my head,

In INTRO which is devided in 2 parts first part is fine but second part where you have to go from EM7 to A7sus4 and A7,( Example 4) there are two small fills, which you can here on MP3 file Number 3, BUT there are missing on TAB, on tab there's only one fill and I think its wrong.

So I may be some one who can play this song could help me, I know that you should play your way and not copying everything you see ,its just I thought with these little fills song sounds better.

Thank you and Regards

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

:? Well I see I am going to be in trouble here with the purists.... I have this bad habit of learning a song as fast as possible so I don't have to go back and forth between my printouts and the guitar - and then not referring to the notes anymore. So I start to play a certain way and it hardens into habit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICegQPQgwqg

I do start out same as in the lesson but like to throw in some extra fills - quick arpeggios (3 finger noodle) on the top 3 strings during G... also the thing with going up to A or B and sliding back down to high G. This is an unbelievably handy move BTW 8) I also mix up the A7 (prob with the A7sus4 harhar) by fretting high G with my pinkie (another incredibly handy move) to make it sound more like that missing extra guitar ( I hope) .
The transition to the verse gave me some trouble so I do a slide up from low G to A (instead of bending the low E string) and back and then try to hammer the open E into the G chord ( I think) and then strum G ... segue into verse.
Also I pick out the chords for the verse, that bad habit of laying down C one finger at a time again - and I am singing along in my head too :twisted: to help keep some kind of rhythm going thru here.

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote
(@virgo65)

In the David lesson ,the mp3 are not the same than the tabs of the examples 3 and 4 . So i'm not able to play the two parts on the introduction together. I want to play the intro like David does it on the second mp3 of the example no 4. Can you help me how to play it? :D

ReplyQuote
(@mojo2600)

In the David lesson ,the mp3 are not the same than the tabs of the examples 3 and 4 . So i'm not able to play the two parts on the introduction together. I want to play the intro like David does it on the second mp3 of the example no 4. Can you help me how to play it? :D

I have the exact same problem. I just can't figure out, what he is actually playing, because it doesn't match the tab :( Can anybody give me a hint?

ReplyQuote
(@lazlong)

As mentioned earlier in the thread, this lesson wasn't about playing the song exactly as you heard it. It was about learning to play it in your own way.

I just opened that lesson two days ago, and several people have heard me play it since then. A few of them began to sing along with it. Not one of them asked me why it didn't sound exactly like the original.

I think that, if you're trying to be a "purist" on this song, then maybe that lesson wasn't right for you.

I'm a beginner, but I'm happy when I can play a song that people recognize. It's an art, not necessarily a science. Right?

ReplyQuote
(@mojo2600)

Thanks lazlong for the answer!

But that was not what I meant. I just can't get the parts 3 and 4 together! Just because the tabs don't match the notes David plays. I mean the tabs form the lesson. Not the original song tabs.
Im stuck there. The provided mp3 sounds great, but when i look at the tab its complete different to what he plays.

ReplyQuote
(@kirkd)
Trusted Member

I've finished working through the Beginner lesson and now I'm working on the Intermediate lesson - both of which are great, by the way. I noticed, however, that there was a teaser in the Intermediate lesson that to my knowledge remains unfulfilled:

<--snip-->
Originally, I thought I'd throw in a few other things that you might find interesting, but I'm thinking at this point that perhaps a “part III” is in order. That will cover playing both parts at once and some additional nifty ideas for you solo guitarists/singers.
<--snip-->

Any chance that one exists or is in the works??

-Kirk

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

One is the works (and has been for ages) and it keeps getting sidetracked for all sorts of reasons. Let's see if I can't bang it out before summer gets here.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@kirkd)
Trusted Member

Awesome!! I'm looking forward to it.

And, thanks for all the fantastic stuff here.

-Kirk

ReplyQuote
(@cloudyifr)

Hello,
I'm a rank beginner and am working on this song. What a great song.

In the fifth audio down where the strumming in the verse is taught I'd like to be able to apply this to a metronome. However, I'm not sure how to apply it.

I believe the lesson says to strum as D DUUD DUU The last up are the treble strings open during the chord change.

What a great lesson I really like the way David Hodge breaks it down and speaks to the listener and how it doesn't have to be 100% accurate to sound nice. But I DO need to get the rhythm correct.

Thanks
Curtis
Montana

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3