Clear all

Always stuck

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@theben)
Topic starter  

Hi there,

Someone else just posted a similar problem that I have, and I was just wondering if anyone has the same issue, or if you had any suggestions.

I have a whole library of half finished melody lines/chords, as well as a whole library of half-finished lyrics. The prob is, I can never seem to fit the two together. Sure, it's easy to cut-and-paste the lyrics over some random melody line, but it almost always sounds icky. If you've ever tried to do this, you'll know what I mean. Just doesn't sound like they were made for each other.

When I write a melody, or when I write lyrics, I never seem to have a specific melody to go with the lyrics or vice versa. That's where I get stuck. Does anyone here have a different way of going about the process? Any insights and/or suggestions'll be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I was kind of hoping someone else with more experience would answer. But this is my best shot at helping you.

Songwriting, like anything else, take lots of time and practice. The longer you do it, the better you get. But alot of us get hung up on a partially written song. It happens alot.

What happens, in my opinion, is that alot of times we have a great idea or melody in our heads. We write that verse down, and maybe a chorus but then were stuck. We dont want to just write anything in there because its a great song up til now. But what I find helps me is to go ahead and finish it. Even if I dont like the second or future verses, I just try to put something in there that helps me to sing along. Our guitarist and me would play it over and over again. Many times, the song would change. The verses I had just "filled in" were replaced by something that ended up being more meaningful.

I think a completely written song (That doesnt sound that great) is much better than a partially written song (That sounds terrific). Finishing it gives you some completion. It gives you some practice. A placeholder. Besides, til you sign the contract and put it on a CD you can change it as often as you need to.

Hope that helps

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@yellowdoor)

i recently had exactly this problem. i have loads of unfinished lyrics that just dont seem to paste together! i am a guitarist who works with a female vocalist, and she usually does all the lyrics. anyway she saw my notebook full of half finished lyrics the other night, saw a song she liked and almost instantly came up with the lyrics to finish it.

it's amazing what a new set of eyes will do. she not only filled in the blank lyrics, but also came up with a great melody for the chorus. dunno if it will work for you, but show some lyrics to someone you trust. maybe they'll fill the gaps for you :)

ReplyQuote