How do I improve my...

Notifications
Clear all

How do I improve my English??

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I'm not a native speaker of English and I have some trouble finding good expressions etc. in English when I write songs.. How can I improve my English song writing skills??

I know, It's not the easiest question....
...,I'll be very grateful if you can help me...

:lol:

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Well, I am one of those ignorant Americans that only speak English. Actually, I am slightly less ignorant because I acknowledge the fact that everyone should learn a couple, but alas I am to lazy. However, I admire you for taking another language on.

First thing you can do, which you are already doing, is practice. Realize that nearly everyone is willing to over look any mistakes you make in the language. Shoot, there are people that have lived here all their lives that dont write or speak as well as alot of non English countries.

Second, I think you should spend alot of time reading lyrics written by other people. Pick songs you like, songs you dont. Maybe even songs you have never heard of. Make a real effort to study those songs and the style that they were written in.

Third, if you dont understand an expression or you want clarification then just ask. I bet anyone here would be happy to help you with it. If not, PM me. I would be happy to help.

Good luck in your writing.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

read a lot of lyrics from bands you like, and make sure you read a lot of beatles and dylan lyrics, since most music in the last 40 years has been influenced a lot by them.
use english phrases and words that you know and understand. if you can find a way to say what you want in a way that's more familiar to you, then it will probably be much easier for english speakers to understand your message. also, a phrase or "figure of speech" that makes sense in your language might not make sense in english.
another tip that helps is to concentrate on the rhythm and melody of the lyrics. make sure that they fit the song.
also, post your songs on the internetand ask for advice.

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Hi there

just done a google search and found this site this might help

http://translation.langenberg.com/

hope it helps

be nice :!:
hilch

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

What language do you speak?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hi jamesgrubb..

I speak Swedish...

:D

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Cool, i speak spanish and thought mabye I could help out. Guess not.
But I'd love to learn your lanuage :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

Hi jamesgrubb..

I speak Swedish...

:D

The thing about swedish that I've noticed is that alot of the subtlties can get lost in translation. Specifically...prepositions and conjunctions. An example of a poorly spoken english sentence from a swedish person :

Has you sometimes play football?

conjunction- The part of speech that serves to connect words, phrases, clauses, or sentences.
B. Any of the words belonging to this part of speech, such as and, but, as, and because.

Preposition- A word or phrase placed typically before a substantive and indicating the relation of that substantive to a verb, an adjective, or another substantive, as English at, by, with, from, and in regard to.

First off, you're helping yourself by conversing (albeit in online speak) with other people who's native tongue is english. These two links should help: http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/studyzone/330/grammar/subcon1.htm
and
http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/studyzone/330/grammar/index.htm

As for expressing yourself...maybe a thesaurus :? :?:

http://www.thesaurus.com

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Another good idea is to take a conversational english coarse if you can find one. That should at least give you a handfull of colloquialisms to work with.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote