Clear all

Beginner Songwriting Anxiety?

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 Vee
(@vee)
Topic starter  

thank you all! I'm loving these posts :)

ReplyQuote
(@dragona43)
Eminent Member

I've had the exact problem, especially with one song in particular, I fixed it so much, I couldn't even remember what the heck it was about anymore, even looking at the original, and I've been so busy in school I haven't been on in almost a year, forgot my password and had to register again, but some really great things have happened while I was out, I took up the Viola again, got into VCC, my state's children's choir, and next year I plan on having my friend teach me some guitar, and I've had some amazing experiences in music. I've improved a lot in the past year and am gonna keep improving. There's some great advice on here, never give up! Sorry for writing a novel. :shock: Always,
ME

ie an'tce eakspe igpe atinle!!
the first legal high is spinning around!!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Another piece of advice I can offer you.....

If you're unhappy with a finished song, don't just ditch it out of hand....you may decide to re-cycle it later, even cut-and-paste with another song - I've done that a few times.

Keep a notebook handy, write down the mood/emotion/message you're trying to express, how you were feeling at the time, what you WANTED to say...you may feel differently later and get a fresh slant on it.......

positive feedback is good, obviously - it makes you feel better about your song/self. But criticism - as long as it's constructive - can be very helpful. I've written stuff that seemed good to me, but when the flaws have been pointed out, I've thought, "Yeah, see what you mean"........

Above all, have faith in yourself.......if someone tells you something's not very good, and you know in your heart-of-hearts you've got something, BELIEVE IT!!!

So keep writing, you'll get there!

Good luck!

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Vee
(@vee)
Topic starter  

I've recently been inspired and have written the basics of a few new songs. Hopefully I'll get them down and recorded soon, and post them up here and see what people think :)

ReplyQuote
(@outoftheloop)
Eminent Member

looks to me like you have the key ingredient that all great musicians/songwriters have: being perpetually unsatisfied. I suffer from perfectionism as well, 4 out of 5 songs i compose end up in the trashcan. but that one song.. that one song is worth it. and i find that old ditched material can be inspiring later on.

you need to first be inspired about something.. and then you need to take the time and work it out.. songs just don't come like nothing. otherwise life would look like a musical.

keep at it, strive for the best, success, and all the rest.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2