Notifications
Clear all

Guitar solos

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@guitardude90512)
Topic starter  

I have spent about a year and a half trying to solo. Every week my guitar teacher plays jazz chords while I solo over them. It always sounds good to me. But when I'm at home playing by myself solos sound really bad. I need another guitar playing. But then i go to guitar shops and i see people just busting out on insane solos my themselves like jimi page. This really frustrates me. I don't know where they learn, do they just play natural, do they buy the music, or do they get tabs off the net ( i doubt someone like them would). Someone please give me some answers

(@omega)
Estimable Member

Well, I guess learning about keys would help...it means that you won't play any/as many wrong notes, and a lot of it is just about practising to see what sounds right, I think.

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Take a step back - they might listen to you and say you're awesome. This is a two way street; I wish I could play like Alex Lifeson, and my next door neighbour wishes he could play like me (or so he says). The guy the other side has a guitar but no strings. He's wierd.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

The guy the other side has a guitar but no strings

Wow! He must really make that thing sing!

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I think the best way to learn how to solo is to really study players that you really like: for example, it seems that you (and me as well) really like jimmy page's playing. So I would learn the solos to your favorite songs (or just your favorite guitar solos).

Alot of people frown on the idea of learning how to solo by "copying" other players but I think it's the best way how. That's the way SRV learned, that's the way Page learned... so that's good enough for me.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

I agree with the above, copying doesnt make you a clone unless you throw on a cowboy had, dig gouges into your pick guard and wear a shirt that says Im SRV hear me roar. Most of the pros learn from whats been done before them....ever wonder why they werent busting out pentatonic riffs on mandolins hundreds of years ago?? The blues era was still to come...and go.

Kido

ReplyQuote