Notifications
Clear all

help me?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@xeon111)
Topic starter  

Ok here is the deal i was writting a song(still dont ha ve the hook down) in the progression
C G Am F (the alternative progression that i used was E C G Am)
It sounded alright,
but after reading the stuff here i am totally confused and the song is in 4/4 (one down stroke per beat and tempo is around 80)

here is the song
C
Just so you know,
G
i was all alone,
Am
waiting for you too,
F
come back home,
(repeat pattern)
just so you know,
there is an empty space,
only you can fill,
in my very heart...,
just so you know(x4)

you didnt listen,
you went away,
when i did everything,
to make you stay.

sleepless nights....,
Breathless days....,
my life without you,
is a waste.......

Its still uncomplete but i am working on it i am just going 4/4 havent really made a rhythm up but i did do 3 down stroke and an up stroke,

but i havent really understood the things written in the songwritting faq.
i need help ...

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Looks good so far.
I used a similar progression in my last song, "Salty"
C G C Am
F C G G

Just one suggestion . . . instead of "Breathless" days . . . "Endless" days

Keep working on it.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I had a go at this a little earlier - tried it as if it was one of my own songs i was trying to put music to.

What I usually do in that situation is:

Strum chord at start of first line and sing first line. Strum next chord at start of second line the sing second line. Repeat for next two lines.

then I'll add extra strums as I'm singing...

C
D U D U D
Just so you know,

G
D U D U D
I was so alone,

Am
D U D U D
waiting for you,

F
D U D U D
To come back home,

(Please note - I changed the words around slightly to fit the rhythm - that's something you'll find you have to do a lot!)

Now I've got a basic rhythm - I'll add what I'll call twiddly bits (maybe sus4ths, 6ths, 7ths, you know, a couple of added notes here and there - maybe a descending bassline....) until I feel I'm getting somewhere. THEN - I'll open Notepad, write down what I've got. Then the day after that, I'll work on it some more - try it different styles. Instead of strumming, I'll try picking; instead if doing it as a ballad on acoustic, I'll try it as a rocker on electric. I'll try a lot of different permutations until I've got the sound I like, the rhythm I like, and the strumming pattern I like....and you know what? About 99 times out of a 100, I'll end up doing the song the way I originally envisaged it!

A lot of it's down to our old friends, trial and error. Yes, it's a trial - maybe even an ordeal somtimes! - going over the same music again and again - and yes, there will be errors. Plenty of them. But eventually, you'll have a finished song and all that hard work, and all those trials will be worthwhile, and all those errors will be forgotten.

Time and practise, trial and error, and determination - they're no substitute for god-given talent, and not many of us have that - but they'll stand you in good stead, eventually.

:D :D :D

Vic

A lot of it's trial and error

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@xeon111)
Topic starter  

thanks alot guys,
seeing those comments gave me a new thinking into the songwriting and composition.

But i still have one more question,
i used the the progression C G Am F because it has been done tooo many times that is to say its a very popular chord progression,
what to do if i want to create something of my own,
should i do trial and error like Vic lewis said i.e to say do random slash chords play around a little with the caged forms and stuff like that
any one who would shed some light here?

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

You're never going to come up with a chord progression that hasn't been done. Even chord progressions that sound awful have been done, that why certain ones are popular. You've only got so many chords to work with so you've only got so many possible progressions.

That being said, chord progressions themselves are only a part of the picture. There's also rhythm and melody (not to mention lyrics), not to mention instrumentation and arrangement, so the possible combinations rise exponentially.

When you think about it, it's amazing that there are so many different songs. Even the ones that share the same chord progressions. Don't worry about it so much at the start. As you learn more chords (including slash chords) you will get more creative as a writer. Don't fall into the typical beginner trap of not writing something because it's been done before. It's not been done by you, yet.

Better still, as you learn more, you can always go back and tweak and re-arrange your old songs.

Get writing and get the song done. It'll do wonders for your creativity, not to mention your confidence. Then learn more and write more.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Get writing and get the song done. It'll do wonders for your creativity, not to mention your confidence. Then learn more and write more.

Then - once your creative cells have been stimulated - why not drop in on the Sunday Songwriter's Group? You get a suggested theme or topic to write a song around every week; after that, it's up to you. Post your lyrics, get feedback on them; even if they're pretty awful, we'll find the good points to highlight, and make friendly suggestions as to how you can improve your writing.

Basically, a bunch of cyber-mates chatting about songs - we won't laugh, we won't take the mickey, we'll just try and help. That offer's open to anyone who wants to hone their skills; join the SSG (special offer this millenium: NO JOINING FEE!) and improve as a writer. I HAVE seen it happen - I've seen callow youths mature into seasoned lyricists. Some of 'em are pretty good - could be YOU in a couple of years!

If this sounds like spam, or an advertising blurb, forgive me - it isn't. There are at least 20 people I could name offhand who started writing songs as a result of dropping into the SSG to see what it's all about; I know, I'm one of them! Well - actually, I'd been writing songs for a while, but never really been totally satisfied with what I'd written - but thanks to all the help I've had over the last five years or so, I've actually written more than a few songs I'm proud of.

Give it a go - what have you got to lose?

Vic

(OK, shameless plug by the moderator of the SSG - but I wasn't always the moderator, a few years back I was just another struggling wannabe songwriter....now, at least, I've got a good few tunes I can call my own and I'm not afraid to play in public!)

(Although - yes, I'm still struggling - and yes, I'm still a wannabe!)

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I've seen callow youths mature into seasoned lyricists. Some of 'em are pretty good - could be YOU in a couple of years!

C'est moi? :lol:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@xeon111)
Topic starter  

sorry for the late reply guys but i will come to sunday songwriters to refine my skills ( not that i have many)
i did write another song it lyrics sucked but its rythm and chord progression rocked gave me a country sound :)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

sorry for the late reply guys but i will come to sunday songwriters to refine my skills ( not that i have many)
i did write another song it lyrics sucked but its rythm and chord progression rocked gave me a country sound :)

That's the whole point of the SSG - post your lyrics, get feedback on them. Generally, people are pretty helpful - they'll tell you if they don't like a line, but they'll tell you WHY they don't like it, and offer suggestions to improve it. The main difference between this forum and the SSG is that you're given a suggested theme or topic to write around - it's more about practising your writing, giving you something to think about that maybe you wouldn't normally write about. Sometimes you may not get a finished song - you may end up with just a couple of lines, or a verse, or a chorus maybe, that you might use in the future. That's happened to me more than once.

But like I said, give it a try - you've nothing to lose, and, if you want to work at your writing, maybe a lot to gain!

Vic

ReplyQuote