Clear all

help with this song...pleasssse

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, so my band is trying to write our first song, but I have come to somewhat of a musicians block. If there was a short break in the music and then the bass picked up...bass tabstabs below...what would sound good over the bass? I can't seem to find the right guitar chords to go over that...any help is very much appriciated

|------------------|------------------|
|-5-5-5-5-5------l7-5-7-5----------|
|-3-3-3-3-3------l5-3-5-3----------l
|-1-1-1-1-1------l3-1-3-1----------|
|-0-0-0-0-0------l-4-4-4-4---------l

(@beans7178)
Reputable Member

a trite and true method would be to do the exact same thing on guitar but to use power chords, its works for alot of punk bands noadays, although im not sure if thats ur style, personally i wouldnt do it but its always a sugestion. Just experiment till you find something that might work or change the bass line to match a chord that may work for it the possibilities are endless really

chec out my music
http://www.myspace.com/spencerbeasleymusic
pm if u like it or send me a message on myspace

ReplyQuote
(@zaiga)
Trusted Member

First let's take a look at the actual notes you are using.

A-A-A-A-A B-A-B-A

G-G-G-G-G A-G-A-G

F-F-F-F-F G-F-G-F

E-E-E-E-E G#-G#-G#-G#

Figuring out the key is a bit tricky, because it has the notes G, G# and A, which are not all in a regular major or minor key. Seeing how the figure starts (and presumably ends) on the A note, one could say that this in the key of A minor, with the G# belonging to the V-of-i chord, in this case an E major.

Simply using the bass note as the root note of the chord, and ignoring for the moment the note-up, note-down figures in the second part of each phrase would give you the chords: Am - G - F - E. This is in fact a famous and often used flamenco cadence.

If you want to incorporate the "off" notes into the chords you could use suspended chords for the second part of each phrase: Am - Asus2 - G - Gsus2 - F - Fsus2 - E

Before Noteboat kills me, note that sus2 chords are actually a different way of writing sus4 chords. For example Asus2 is actually Esus4, Gsus2 is Dsus4 and Fsus2 is Csus4.

ReplyQuote
(@amazing_ness)
Estimable Member

WELL, since your bass is, well, low, I'd suggest one of the following things. Take this portion of a scale

e--------------------8---11
b-----------8----11
g-8-10-11

these are just the notes, not the way you play them, and since it's high, do some sort of glissimo slidinging and hammering on.

or, you can take the Born Under A Bad Sign riff, and the I shot the Sherrif riff NOTES! not the riff, just the notes, and do some crazy soloing. So the notes are

G--------------------------------3
D----------------------3----5----
A-----1-----3-----5--------------
E--3------------------------------

Here, you can either remove the B flat (A string, fret 1) or you can add an F (E string fret 1) for symettry. Personally, I'd just get rid of the B flat. Or you can add a bunch of crazy solo notes.

Now, the crazy soloing.

If you can, make it fast, clear, use a lot of bends and vibrato.

OR if you don't like that idea, play the bass twice, and kick in the drums, and after two more times bring in the guitar, playing some sort of floating melody.

Hey.

ReplyQuote