Notifications
Clear all

Morpheus - An acoustic/vocals ballad

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@guyinsummers)
Topic starter  

I've always been impressed by musicians who can successfully write something interesting with just vocals and guitar, so I figured I'd give it a try. I'm rather self-conscious about every aspect of it, so I really can't say whether I think it's any good. I made a few minor mistakes in the guitar playing, but none bad enough that I felt I had to go fix them. I suppose I hope the lyrics aren't too cheesy, the chorus melody doesn't sound too much like a nursery rhyme, and the guitar isn't too repetitive or uninteresting. I'm also very unexperienced in mixing and mastering, so I may easily have done something obviously off in the equalization... I did manage to cut out some hiss and color the tone a bit, but the guitar still doesn't fill a room like I know it can. Hopefully the reverb isn't overmuch either. I think it's noticeable, but my voice rather needs the effects to sound tolerable. Any critique welcome.

http://larrykenny.mine.nu/misc/morpheus.mp3

(@localhost)

I think it is good. Guitar and melody are great. I didn't pay much attention to the lyrics but what I did seemed fine to me.

Now since you are self-conscious about the song, take my one critique(sp?) as constructive criticism. The little bridge part @ 1:07 for "And our ride will never start", the chord changes there sound odd to me for some reason. I don't know what it is. It could simply be a rythm thing where maybe playing the quick chords twice instead of once might help. I'm not sure. When you repeat the lyric immediately after the first time, it sounds fine to me.

Besides that one thing, I enjoyed it. Keep it up.

ReplyQuote
(@guyinsummers)
Topic starter  

I certainly see what you mean on those chord changes. I think it sounds much better with a Bb diminished rather than major (I don't know why I didn't play minor; that certainly would have been closer), but I'm not comfortable enough with a diminished shape to switch chords that quickly. I'm glad you pointed that out, though; I think I'll try minors there at least next time I play it, unless I get diminished shapes down.

ReplyQuote
(@mysticmoonangel)
Estimable Member

Hi GuyInSummers

nice song I think you did a good job
i realy enjoyed listening to this
nice vocals as well

Mystic

ReplyQuote