Clear all

New Life

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

My mum died last monday, all I could think of was to write a song for her..

Something comes, something goes,
Something dies, something grows,
Something's gone, from my soul,
Something's gone and left a hole..........

A rose has gone, a bright red rose,
The weeds are taking its place,
Something's gone, gone forever.
Nothing can take its place......

The sun ain't shining, down on me,
The clouds are pouring out their grief,
the sky is grey, in sympathy,
Don't care if the rain pours down on me......

But there's a new flower, pushing through,
Making its way throughthe weeds,
Pushing through, to the sun,
Ready to spread its seeds........

And my step-daughter just found out she's pregnant........so sort of happy ending, one life over, a new one just started - at least that's how I'm trying to rationalise it........

RIP Mum.....I might not have showed it, but I did love you.......

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

it seems you've taken this really well, the song is very well-thought, and not painfully scribbled in a frenzy

I like the song a lot, I'm sure there's more that could be written, maybe once you find those things yourself, but what's there is really good

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

While I am not that good at criticising songs, both my condolences and congratulations.
:cry: ------------------------------------------- :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

thanks for your kind words, Arjen and Snoogans....

The wife and the daughter both said I've been hell to live with the last week, can't blame 'em, if it had'nt been for guitarnoise, think I'd have gone totally mental ....just tried to keep myself busy and keep my mind occupied.....

And hell, has that easy song database been busy!!!

special thanks to pet and twisty.....for being there.......

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

dear vic,

I'm so sorry for you...my deepest sympathy.

I've been once again trapped by the thought of dying since they talked about someone who died at the age of 62 in the news on tuesday. I can enjoy nothing this week...can't even do nothing I have to kep myself busy, best do 3 things at a time and not only one... it's horrible...the terror of none-existence, I wish I could believe that there's something after death, I really do.

anyway I didn't mean to push you back into that vicious circle, sorry!!!
hope it helps you a bit when I tell you that your song is really great. I think your mum would've felt very honoured. and I like the last verse which gives hope again. thank you.

love,
bluenightangel

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
(@nitetrapper)
Estimable Member

Vic, I'm new here but I coudnt help but notice how you words touched me. I am going thru a simalar thing write now . And nobody knows how tough it is untill they go thru it. Best wishes to you and your family. And keep writing you sore have the talent from what i've read so far. Take care. Nite...

lyrics belong in songs, poems bolong in bookstores

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

My daughter - who had to listen to a lot of Mott the Hoople when she was growing up - has just pointed out that the first few lines are totally stolen from "Sea Diver" by Mott.....

first few lines of that song are,

"Something comes, and something goes,
And something dies, before it grows,"

er..........is that a rip-off, plagiarism or just something I heard and put to good use? It's a pretty fine line, but where do you draw the limit?

Now she's pointed it out. I can see exactly what she means.......

ReplyQuote
(@portia)
Reputable Member

Hi Vic.

It's a nice song. Very heartfelt. Don't you hate it when you write something, think "that's brilliant", and then realize it wasn't totally original? I'm not sure of the legal side of things, but I would personally steer clear of using lines that are quite that close to someone else's - at least if you plan on using it for anything public.

I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully having a new baby around will make things a little easier for you and your family.

Good Writing.
:) Portia

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Vic,

Really sorry to her about your mom, my deepest sympathies to you and your family. I face the same thing soon as both my mom and dad are in their 80's and not in good health. I have no idea how I'm going to handle that. I although I have experienced many deaths in the family over the years I have never had to deal with anything that close.

I think your entitled to be hell to live with for awhile. Just keep writing it'll help you deal with all the emotions you are experiencing.

Chris

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

then again the chords I have in mind for this are totally different from "Sea Diver"......and there are only so many words in the English language, I just happened to pick these.......

:?

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Sorry to hear about your mother. I lost mine a while back, with a great deal of things left to be said between us. It seems from your post that you have a similar feeling.

I liked the song. Descriptive and well written in my eyes with a nice turnabout at the end. In terms of the lines you used being similar to another song, if they say it, they say it.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote