Clear all

Posting songs on here is it a problem?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@picture-perfect)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ive just had this thought and this is all hyperthetical, say i post a song on here and someone on here decides they like it so much they use it for their band, and end up pinching it and using it, what could i do? this is all hyperthetical and i aint knocking the site or accusing anyone im just curious

(@Anonymous)

This is case of copyright matters, as has been discussed extensively in other topics. Basically u need to be able to prove you wrote the songs first. U could use the poor mans copyright method whereby you mail yourself a copy of the song and then stored it sealed away, or actaully copyright the song if you think its that good. Unfortunately its a grey area for the most part!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You can see the other posts that are stickied in this forum, but in short poor man's does not work in the USA. If you have a concern, register your copyright.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Is there a definitive study on internet posts? If I put a set of lyrics into the SSG forum, then it's time and date-stamped

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'll do a search on the legal dbase tomorrow.

I do know that time stamps in emails are considered legal proof.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hmm , infact i have been also wondering over this sometimes and i feel that if you are posting your song here...you are also seeking advice of other people and their help.

So if someone decides to use your song , well , i don't feel it should be a copyright violation.YOU haven't worked fully on it because so many are giving suggestions..probably even suggesting some parts themselves.

And then again if as a songwriter i am so much concerned about lyrics being used by someone else i guess i won't post it here.Let me keep it to myself ..record it on a cd or if that's expensive then put it on soundclick simply.Now i am very sure songs put on soundclick are definatly copyrighted.

Lastly i am very sure that the scope can't too big for the songs out here.First , i don't expect a band to make any money out of lyrics posted here.And even if they do..it is most likely be less.

You just can't blame internet and specifically the forums for copyright violation...i guess it comes too much in a public domain.

Not to go against anyone's talents or respect.Just IMHO. :D

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

It a bit of a bugger this idea, isn't it?

You want to share your work with others, yet you may ruin your chance of profitting by the song in the process.

On the other hand, I can't really imagine that songwriters are browsing our boards looking for the next number 1. They SHOULD be ;) cos there's some real talent here, but I doubt it somehow.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

First , i don't expect a band to make any money out of lyrics posted here.

I disagree

I put a few of my SSG songs on a CD - for my own enjoyment. I gave copies to my kids. Within a week they'd come back and said "can we have another x copies" - their friends had heard my work and wanted in.

I did my CD for fun, but with that sort of instant takeup maybe someone posting SSG or Songwriting Club material here could go on to be the next big thing.

Stroppy git aren't I

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

record it on a cd or if that's expensive then put it on soundclick simply.Now i am very sure songs put on soundclick are definatly copyrighted.
Now, why would a song, posted on soundclick have any more right to protection than one posted on GN? Soundclick does not register anything anywhere as member xyz's intellectual property - in fact, if they did that, they'd have to monitor everything that was posted and pay for any copyright material that was stored there (now, there's another can of worms, for you).
As for ownership, the original work was posted on GN by the copyright holder (the author/composer) and, even if any suggestions were made by other members (to improve the work), the basic work is still the intellectual property of the copyright holder.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

record it on a cd or if that's expensive then put it on soundclick simply.Now i am very sure songs put on soundclick are definatly copyrighted.
Now, why would a song, posted on soundclick have any more right to protection than one posted on GN? Soundclick does not register anything anywhere as member xyz's intellectual property - in fact, if they did that, they'd have to monitor everything that was posted and pay for any copyright material that was stored there (now, there's another can of worms, for you).
As for ownership, the original work was posted on GN by the copyright holder (the author/composer) and, even if any suggestions were made by other members (to improve the work), the basic work is still the intellectual property of the copyright holder.

At least you can use a creative commons copy rite on Sound Click :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote