Clear all

single guitar

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@artistx13)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

not much on introduction ill just go straight to the problem. Ive been doin some writin and im pretty comfortable writing progression and stuff. But I find just strumming and recording then playing a riff over its not what I really want to do. I wanna start doing single guitar arrangements that are not just chords over. I wanna add bits of melody and maybe a solo or so but when I try its goes from this great full sound to this devoid sound of a single note. Ive tried addin double stops and what not but I can never get it the way I want. Any suggestions

-Thanks
Micheal :)

"I named my son Marshall, yeah I named him after the amp. Of course that wasnt my first choice, I was gonna name him Peavy but my wife didnt like it."- Ron "Tater Salad" White

(@omega)
Estimable Member

I wouldn't orry about it...if you are in a band there'll be a bass/drums etc, and if you are going solo and you are in the studio, you can loop over a progression or alter volumes, or the like.

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Well, you need to make your sound fatter and there are a few ways of doing it. Pedal effects - chorus or distortion - will do the job nicely. Recording the thin sound twice on a 4-track will also beef it up. Ramping up the gain will also go beyond the clean sound.

You don't tell us a lot about your setup - give us some clues, and we can come up with some answers.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@artistx13)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My set ups pretty simple. Ive got an acoustic and ive got an electric.

"I named my son Marshall, yeah I named him after the amp. Of course that wasnt my first choice, I was gonna name him Peavy but my wife didnt like it."- Ron "Tater Salad" White

ReplyQuote
(@omega)
Estimable Member

Erm. Do you have an amp or anything that can change the sound at all?

If you are playing on just an unplugged guitar, you'll find it hard to fill the void where there are no chords...you could mute the chords and let the melody/solo part ring, which will make it sound fuller, or if you have an amp you could distort certain parts of it....the more equipment you have the easier it is.

With an acousitc, as said before, you could mute/play the chords quietly and then hit the single notes with full effect...use vibrato, bends, and let the notes ring...that should help.

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
(@outoftheloop)
Eminent Member

sounds to me like you just need to learn how to better use your guitar.

there are 6 strings, and the way you use them is limited by only two things, your dexterity and your imagination.

you can mix up full chords with single notes, two string chords, 3 string chords, arpeggios, scaling chords.. string percussion.. oh the list goes on.

listen to the guitar playing of incubus or ani difranco for ideas.

best of luck!

-kyle

ReplyQuote