and which god does my image imitate

there's beauty in your head
but your lyrics flow like lead
and all in all you're just another brick
in a featherbed

edit: switched the last two verse lines

(@pierson)
Reputable Member

Wow. Really, really, really liked this one! Brilliant imagery, great metaphores, just good and emotional-capturing songwriting here.and all in all you're just another brick
in a featherbedhurt by those i let in close
so i cut out my heart to spite my noseFreakin' awesome. Keep it up!

There's a thin fine line between hate and rage.
Now watch the line be crossed and break!

ReplyQuote
(@smohyee)

I had a fun time interpreting the verses. Here's what I got out of it

V1 - Our imaginations and minds are so limited by effects of television, we are amazed when we discover the benefits of literature

V2 - The finding morality one explains that even though we may start out being taught a set of moral principles to follow, eventually we modify it to suit our own life. I still don't get the nose reference. Though maybe it means that even though someone 'smells bad' to you, you'll still let them in because you've become jaded.

V3- Once again talking about morality, tied into religion this time. You work your principles around what works, aka scientific evidence. Furthermore, you question the value of religion, since if people do terrible things in its name (angel cut with swords of fire), and it takes bad things to make you appreciate good (satan tunes ears higher), you'd have to question whether God deserves any more worship than Satan.

Also, I like the Floyd reference with the 'all in all your just another brick' (in the wall).

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah really good. Love the imagery, and the references to religion, morality etc.

My only thought was that you may want to be careful with

"all in all, you're just another brick" -That is a dangerous line!

Nice lyrics though

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@pierson)
Reputable Member

My only thought was that you may want to be careful with

"all in all, you're just another brick" -That is a dangerous line!
I really don't think that there is any danger here. "Another brick in the featherbed" is saying that it doesn't fit with the crowed, and that it is somewhere it doesn't belong. I think brothert. wanted to make the connection to pink floyd. Just with some different meaning.

SMohyee, great thoughts about the song. I had to re-read it and I could get what you were saying. I had different interpretations, but your seemed quite accurate (so it seems.) I also noticed that you're somewhat new, so welcome to guitarnoise.

Brothert. give us some feedback whenever you can and let us know what the song really means and if SMohyee's interpretation was right.

As always, Keep it up!

There's a thin fine line between hate and rage.
Now watch the line be crossed and break!

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

there's beauty in your head
but your lyrics flow like lead
and all in all you're just another brick
in a featherbed

I reallly liked this part!

Keep it up!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

there is danger inherent in using an amoral (as oppossed to immoral) field, such as science, as a moral compass. scientists brought us both computers and the atom bomb.
after adam and eve were cast out of eden, the entrance was guarded by two seraphim with flaming swords, never to be entered by man again.
satan was modeled after the god pan, who had the body of a goat and the torso of a man, and horns. he was a fun-loving prankster who played the pipes, the "pan-pipes". there's also the myth that robert johnson learned to play the guitar when lucifer tuned his guitar for him, making him the greatest blues musician in exchange for his immortal soul. johnson often used alternate tunings.
in genesis, god modeled man "in our image". this reference to "our", instead of "my" is a vestige of the polytheism that all early religions contained. this, of course, changed later, as we can see plainly in the first commandment.
the tao te ching places emphasis on the world in opposites. there is no up without down. there is no love without hate. the master keeps to the center and embodies the flow. this static world in opposites is what christianity, god and the devil, good and evil, us and them, the apocalypse, is all about.

verse one implies that exchanging one form of passive entertainment for another can be dangerous without perspective.

there is an expression, "cutting off your nose to spite your face", which means that you do something that damages yourself in an effort hurt someone else, or that the cure is more harmful than the disease. in this case, hardening your feelings in order to prevent getting hurt, even though it shuts out any opportunity to love.

the pink floyd reference is obviously intentional.

ReplyQuote