Clear all

Songs turn into poems.....

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

OK, so ive been working on writting for the last few years. I deceded to to write poems when I noticed that I was getting these great lines coming to me, and I kept forgetting them. Well it has turned into a great way to deal with life, emotanal issues, and just get feelings out there... So for a wile now, ive been trying to write songs.. My problem is that all my songs turn into poems........... thats not realy a bad thing.... but im realy looking to write some songs, and so far its just not working. Anyone have issues like this? Any tips for me to turn these poems, into a structure more like a song? Also at this time I only seem to have a handle on the word part.... cant wrap my head around the "music" part... hoping that will come as I get to be a better player

Paul B

(@hobson)
Noble Member

I don't think there is such a big distinction between poems and song lyrics. Maybe that isn't the problem, but your poems/lyrics tend to always have the same meter??? Or maybe you're not coming up with a chorus that you like? Or maybe there's not enough variety within the song? More information would help.

Sometimes music and lyrics come to me at the same time. Other times I write the lyrics and have no idea what the music will be. The music may not present itself for weeks.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well The chorus is always a problem with me, and that could be some of it... I think some is the fact that the way they come to me has the .. ill use the word "flow" ..of a poem,and when I try to turn it into lyrics..... It seems to loose that flow, and to me anyways looses some of the feel..

I have been doing some reading up on song structure, and starting to get some ideas flowing, so I think it just may take some time working on it... Im going to focis on getting the idea down in more of a song format when the ideas come....and then maybe it will be closer to lyrics..

Paul B

ReplyQuote