Clear all

Tracking down writer of an OLD song ?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This question likely doesn't belong here...but it doesn't really belong in any category, so I'm putting it here until reprimanded. :wink: .
I like to research fully any old song I do new arrangements for, and I'm trying to find the correct songwriting credit and year of copyright for an old American folk-bluegrass song that was later played as everything from bop (McGuire Sisters), to a polka-style hit by Frankie Yankovic, to Elvis , to Brenda Lee.
The name of the song is "Just Because".
It is widely credited to Bob and Joe Shelton (often also with Sid Robin), as a 1937 copyright.
However, it was first recorded by "Nelstone's Hawaiians" in 1929 (Hubert Nelson & James Touchstone)...then I find it was recorded by The Shelton Brothers in 1935. ...I have found three somewhat different sets of lyrics, also.
Does anyone know a good source on the web to find such info ?
Wikipedia is worse than useless, and I have found no decent sites through the search engines of Google, Jeeves, Yahoo or others.
...thanks and regards to all...

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It sounds like the song was registered in the US. The copyright organisation (RIAA, MPA, or whoever) must have records and would give out that sort of information, I would have thought.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote